commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Tracing History of Roland Manning  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Neil Leo
Forum Member

Hi Everyone,
I have received my Grandfathers service records today and so new to this forum. I am trying to decode the handwriting and abbreviations that are listed on his service records, so would love any advice or help to get a more defined picture of the unit my Grandfather was in and where he possibly fought, so I can create a clear narrative for my Mother. I can decipher the following so far

Roland Manning POX107121
Enlisted August 1941 at Fort Cumberland
It seems to say that he was initially enlisted as a Marine M.T Driver?
I read it as joining MNDO II on the 1st of August 1942 to the second of May 1944
It seems he was wounded in war service with the date as 31st December 1943, though this does not seem to match what I can on the service record
The medal sheet includes Africa and Italy as well as the defense medal, war medal and 1939-45

Any advice on how to gather more information, or how to understand the 1940s hand writing better would be much appreciated.

[Thumb - Service record 3.jpg]
 Filename Service record 3.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 83 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  170 time(s)

[Thumb - Service record 2.jpg]
 Filename Service record 2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 76 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  155 time(s)

[Thumb - Service record 1.jpg]
 Filename Service record 1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 130 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  163 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/05/2021 10:34:28

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Neil, Unlike today not all Royal Marines were RM Commandos. From your grandfathers record here are a few snippets of help.

MT= Motor Transport. MNBDO 11 = Mobile Naval Base Defence Organisation 2. Formed January 1941. MNBDO 11 supported the allied invasion of Sicily in August 1943. Disbanded on return to UK 5/1944. Your grandfather went onto serve at the Fighter Wing, of the Royal Naval Air Station Lee-on-Solent (HMS Daedalus) http://www.royalnavyresearcharchive.org.uk/FAA-Bases/Lee_on_Solent.htm#.YJ6VT6hKiUk.

I have seen reference to 33 General Hospital being in Peebles. Transit Camps at that time and in that theatre of war were often in North Africa.

Some of the other abbreviations on the record can be found here: http://www.commandoveterans.org/rm-serv_rec_abbreviations

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Neil Leo
Forum Member

Thank you so much Pete, this is a great help.

I can also make out "LM" on the service records, which would match what you say about the other potential roles in the Royal Marines. Do you know of anyway to dig deeper to what that role might of been? Can it be sourced through rank or unit?

All the best

Neil Leo
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Neil

You could make an enquiry to the RM Historical Society: https://www.rmhistoricalsociety.org/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/05/2021 16:46:36

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger