commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Info on William Watson Pattison  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Susan Paterson
Forum Member

I have discovered that my mothers brother William Watson Pattison was with the commandos for a short period of time and looking for any information about his time there.
He enlisted with the Cameronians in 1939 and from an obituary on his death it says that he transferred to the Commandos and escaped from Crete in a barge. Then obtained a commission 2nd Lt with Durham Light Infantry and was killed in his first engagement within hours of arriving on 7th December 1941.
He is buried at Tobruk.

Any info other than above would be great
many thanks

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Susan

Are you able to post the Obituary on here or advise me where it was from? Post a photo of William as well if you have one. Any problems just contact me by email link below.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Susan provided this image of her uncle.

In Memory of 226186 Second Lieutenant William Watson Pattison
Durham Light Infantry 2nd Bn.,
who died 7 December 1941 Tobruk
Remembered with honour at Tobruk War Cemetery Libya
[Thumb - William Watson Pattison.jpg]
 Filename William Watson Pattison.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 112 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  288 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/10/2021 14:52:56

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Susan has sent this transcript of a newspaper report. It clearly shows commando service and she is awaiting arrival of the Service Record which hopefully will have specifics.

Glasgow Herald, Tuesday 3rd February, Page 6.

GLASGOW MAN REPORTED KILLED IN ACTION
Served with the Commandos

Second Lieutenant William W Pattison (25), second son of the late Mr Richard N Pattison and Mrs Pattison, 7 Leslie Street, Pollokshields, Glasgow, has been officially reported as killed in action. He was a B.L. of the University of Glasgow, and enlisted in the Cameronians, in 1939, after the outbreak of war. Later he transferred to the Commandos and saw active service with this force. He was one of a number who escaped from Crete in a barge. Later he obtained a commission in the Durham Light Infantry. He was a grandson of the late Robert Renwick, the Glasgow historian.

Notes
Sources
CWGC.
Casualty Lists WO417/2 (2 entries).
London Gazette 35445, page 604 (commissioned 2/Lieut. 16 Nov. 1941).
Report in Glasgow Herald newspaper, Tuesday 3rd February 1942.
[Image] His niece Susan Pattison.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/10/2021 15:00:34

[Email]
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

On the 7th April recorded in 7 Commando's War Diary is the following entry;

'Members of the Battalion Liaison Section were interviewed by the Bde. I.O., Lt. Waugh, and Ptes Pattison, Mander, Close and P.S.M. Harper were accepted for the Bde. Intelligence Section.'

It's quite possible this relates to Pte W.W. Pattison.

C.C. Close was posted missing on Crete 2 June 1941 and remained a POW until the wars end.

Pipe Sergeant Major Harper was due to be posted away from 7 Commando according to their Provisional Establishment dated 22nd March 1941 he was deemed over strength.

Hope this will be of some use.

Kind regards,

Alan.

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger