commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
POX104767 John Fairclough, RM Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
AB64
Forum Member

Looking for any info on John Fairclough who in November 42 passed the Commando course then in May 43 passed a Parachute course (someone I know had a look at the Parachute course records but couldn't see him unfortunately) and thoughts on which Commando unit he was with or any action he may have seen? thanks in advance

(edited to correct Date)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/05/2021 18:08:27

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

If you have documentation that he passed out as a RM Commando in May 1942 then he could only have been in what was then known as 'The RM Commando' as it was the first and only RM Commando in existence at that time. The Army Commandos had been in existence since mid 1940. A brief history of this unit which was redesignated 40RM Commando after Dieppe can be found here: http://www.commandoveterans.org/40RMCommando

As you will see May 42 sort of fits in with their arrival in Scotland the month before.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
AB64
Forum Member

Sorry Pete, I've thrown a dodgy date in, should have been November 1942 rather than May - I've amended my original question. From the link you posted it looks like at that point he would be either A (40) or B (41) Commando. Thanks for the reply and sorry again for misposting the date
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

No worries. Are there any signatures on the documentation you have that that might give clues, ie. tracing who the signature belonged to in respect of 40 or 41 ?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
AB64
Forum Member

The book has been issued as a replacement in 1944 so there aren't many earlier entries and those there are don't have the normal full signatures - the Commando and Parachute ones have JC next to them but I couldn't see a match

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger