commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Served in Burma AND Italy?  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Sinead
Forum Member

Hello, I am trying to discover more about my grandad David McCarthy. I have his RM cap badge. I also have his Burma Star. Yet he also has an Italy Star and Atlantic Star. As I am trying to ascertain which troop he was in, this is a bit confusing, as I thought 40, 43 were in Burma and 42, 44 were in Italy. As for the Atlantic, I have no idea yet. He does not have any other stars.
How could he have served in All these campaigns? Many thanks.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 07/04/2021 19:43:07

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Sinead
Unlike today not all Royal Marines were Commandos in WW2. The Army Commandos were formed in 1940 but the first RM Commando units were not formed until 1942 and Nos.42, 43, and 44 RM Commandos were not formed until mid 1943. Nos.40 and 43 RM Commandos were in the Central Mediterranean and Nos.42 and 44 RM Commandos were in Burma, each serving along with their Army Commando counterparts in the Special Service Brigades. So his Royal Marines service could have been in a different theatre of war to that of his RM Commando service. Why don't you post some photos of what you have in a reply here and a photo of him if you have it. Do you have his service number? Any problems just email me below.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger