commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Was Royal Navy Beach Commando Nan N2 My Dad's Unit?  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Blueboy
Forum Member

Hi All,

I've just joined the forum and this is my first post. I'm researching my late father's service history and have been having some difficulty in substantiating where he was and what he did. Please bear with me whilst I explain.

I always knew my dad served in the Royal Navy during WW2, but for years that was all I knew.

After he died many years ago, I was told by various relatives, ''He was a Royal Navy Commando and landed at Anzio''. ''He was at the sharp end''. ''He landed behind enemy lines''. He only ever talked about his service in amusing anecdotes so this caught me by surprise. I recall Sicily being mentioned and my dad told me he had been to Haifa after I had visited Israel and docked there. My brother says he remembers Salerno being mentioned.

Last year my sister told me she had some documents relating to his service in the navy. His records showed what I took to be ships but were all shore establishments. Research showed me they were all training units for the first year and were mostly specific to landing craft. Then there was HMS Copra which I realised was an administration centre for those on Combined Operations. There was no specific information though.

I requested his Record of Service from the Navy Command and after several months have received some documents. These documents are a little more specific and mention N2 B.C. from 2 Jun 43 to 30 Jun 45.

The covering letter said that they did not know what N2 BC referred to. I thought I had drawn a blank but persevered and landed on this site.

I now know about Royal Navy Beach Commando N (Nan) and that they were divided into units N1, N2 and N3. So I now got a bit excited as N2 BC had now taken on a meaning... N2 Beach Commando.

I found another site called relaysystem, through a link from this site I think, and Commando Nan went to all the places I listed earlier. I read somewhere (forgot now as I looked at so many places I got confused) and it a said they practiced for Anzio (I think) at Salerno. This is the first time I've seen all the places myself and my siblings can remember hearing about all in one place.

I looked on the RN Beach Commando Nominal Roll on this site but his name does not appear. Now, N (Nan) was formed at Armadillo in late Jan 43 and my dad didn't arrive at Armadillo until 8 Feb 43 so I wonder if he joined the unit late and didn't appear on the initial roll.

I then remembered a conversation between a friend of mine from a small town in Yorkshire and my dad. My dad said his wartime mate was from the same town and mentioned his name. I've never forgotten the name. I'm not sure I should mention the chap's name here but it was not a common surname.

Anyway, I looked for this chap's name on the Roll and there it was. He was an Able Seaman Royal Navy from Unit N2.

I don't think this is all coincidence so my question is... Does N2 B.C. on his service record mean he was a member of Royal Navy Beach Commando N (Nan) Unit N2? Also, if so, can I get his name added to the Nominal Roll?

His records also show he was awarded the Italy Star, 1939-45 Star and 1939-45 War Medal.

I'm happy to share what I received from the Navy Search people which will show name, rank, number and all his shore bases... and N2 BC of course and his medals.

Thank you if you managed to stay with all this and I would appreciate any help and advice however small it may seem.

I've convinced myself I've traced his old unit but just can't make that final connection.

Best wishes.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/03/2021 00:25:15

Remembering my dad, Able Seaman John Couch (known as Jack or Taffy) RN Beach Commando N2.
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

How interesting and exciting!

I'm looking forward to seeing the replies you'll be getting - such knowledgeable people on here.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Blueboy,

Great post and certainly I'd say that the BC N2 stood for Beach Cdo Nan 2 but you didn't mention your dad's name...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi and welcome to the archive. I am glad you have found some information and links within it. The nominal rolls are not complete so the fact he is not listed does not mean he did not serve. However we do need evidence so it would be useful if you posted photos of the service record / documents you have pertaining to his units and of course details of your Father himself. Add the photos as attachments to any reply here on this thread. You can add 3 at a time but there is a file size limit of 1mb so you may have to add more than one reply. Any problems send them to me full size via the email link below. Can you also advise who your father's pal was that you mentioned was on the Nom Roll.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Blueboy
Forum Member

Thank you, Eileen. One final piece of the jigsaw... My dad was from South Wales. RN Commando N (Nan) were disbanded in November 1945 at Dundonald. My mum is from Irvine... 5 miles from Dundonald.

Remembering my dad, Able Seaman John Couch (known as Jack or Taffy) RN Beach Commando N2.
Blueboy
Forum Member

Hi Guys, thanks for the welcome.

My dad was JX 363389 Able Seaman John Couch. He was known as Jack but for sure he was Taffy during WW2. His mate was Desmond Gilbert.

I'll try to upload something now and see what happens.

Ok, I've added his service history so I'll submit it and see where it goes.
[Thumb - Service History.jpg]
 Filename Service History.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Service History
 Filesize 539 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  307 time(s)

Blueboy
Forum Member

Hmm... doesn't look too good.

Blueboy
Forum Member

Ah, I clicked download and can now see it.

Let's try his medals
[Thumb - Medals.jpg]
 Filename Medals.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Medals
 Filesize 548 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  283 time(s)

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Blueboy,

There was certainly an Able Bodied Gilbert in N2

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Blueboy
Forum Member

Thanks Nick. Yes I saw that and further reading says he was injured in Sicily but returned to the unit later.

Blueboy
Forum Member

Pete wrote:Hi and welcome to the archive. I am glad you have found some information and links within it. The nominal rolls are not complete so the fact he is not listed does not mean he did not serve. However we do need evidence so it would be useful if you posted photos of the service record / documents you have pertaining to his units and of course details of your Father himself. Add the photos as attachments to any reply here on this thread. You can add 3 at a time but there is a file size limit of 1mb so you may have to add more than one reply. Any problems send them to me full size via the email link below. Can you also advise who your father's pal was that you mentioned was on the Nom Roll.

Hi Pete,

I have added a bit of info as you can see. I have photos of his original records if you need them but there is no mention of N2 BC, only Copra. N2 BC only turned up on my first attachment. They added (sic) as clearly that is how is was written on the original doc that it was taken from.

His photo and some details appear on the Combined Operations website in the They Also Served section.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 29/03/2021 13:29:20

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi and thank you for posting the Pay and Victualling Record. As a result I have entered your Father's name into our Nominal Roll. I have also noted the entry on the Combined Operations website with his photo. Was this provided to them by yourself ? I have included it below and I can include it in our gallery as well if you provide your name for the credit. If you provide your father's date and place of birth and date of death I will add those as well.

As an aside I found a picture which I would ask you to look at. I freely admit I am not good on photo comparisons but the chap on the left is from 'Nan' Commando and to me looks somewhat similar.
[Thumb - John Couch RN photo.jpg]
 Filename John Couch RN photo.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 189 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  271 time(s)

[Thumb - 2 members of Nan Commando at Suez .jpg]
 Filename 2 members of Nan Commando at Suez .jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 230 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  277 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Blueboy
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

Thank you so much for including my dad on the RN Beach Cdo Nominal Role. I did provide the photo to Combined Ops and all the evidence I have to support what has been written about him there. I will try to get those details updated to reflect exactly where Commando Nan landed. Please do include his photo in the gallery, I will email you details later as I'm about to head to work. I have emailed the Navy Command to see if they can dig further into N2 BC.

I'm not sure about the chap on the left of the photo you posted but if you can zoom into the picture here http://www.relaysystem.co.uk/id11.html and look at the chap who stands above the others in the centre of the dark doorway, then look to the left of him as you look at the photo, then the chap there is the one I think looks like my dad. There's a bit of shadowing that narrows the appearance of his chin but I think it could be him.

Also, I have a copy of a photo of my dad and two mates in uniform and one of them looks like the chap on the left of my dad as you view the photo in the link above. I wonder if it is Desmond Gilbert.

When I have time I'll try to post the photos.

Once again thank you and I'll get back with more info.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/03/2021 13:09:46

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

In addition to the websites which you have already found, there are two very good books about the Royal Naval Beach Commandos that I recommend.

The Beachhead Commandos, author A. Cecil Hampshire.

Beachhead Assault (The Story of the Royal Naval Commandos in WW2), author David Lee.

[Email]
Blueboy
Forum Member

Pete wrote:In addition to the websites which you have already found, there are two very good books about the Royal Naval Beach Commandos that I recommend.

The Beachhead Commandos, author A. Cecil Hampshire.

Beachhead Assault (The Story of the Royal Naval Commandos in WW2), author David Lee.

Thanks for the recommendations Pete. I will seek these books out. Please do put my dad's photo in the gallery. He was born on 18 January1923 in LLwynypia in the Rhondda Valley in South Wales and died on 27 December 1994 aged 71 years. No need to credit me by name. If you can post a link for me to view it that would be great.

Many thanks.

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger