commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Force 399 SOE servicemen or relatives  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Sfsg
Forum Member

I am looking for relatives of servicemen who served in HQ SO(M), FORCE 399, and No 1 Special force. My Grandfather was a Airborne combat medic with these units. Mainly in the Balkans with the British Military Mission to Jucoslav Army of National Liberation (Titos Partisans) and Italy with the Italian Partisans. Are there any surviving personnel out there? got some whiskey if there is. He died in 1948 of T. B he picked up in the caves on the B M M to the JANL they were missing presumed dead for a while, got the tag and the ops papers. He left a paper trail in his bag with photos and his Force 399 address, as he new he was going to die.His kids were 2 and 4 with one due in 3 months. The bag sat for 70 0dd years till I read the docs properly the uniforms in the photos stood out. If any ones in the same boat give me a message or I will see you down the cenotaph in Nov. They didn't stop us at the commando monument last year that's for sure. Lest we forget.
ViA
Forum Member

Hi John
Albeit your story is a sad one, I am so happy to hear about someone doing research on someone they never met in order to know them as best as possible.
I can tell you with my research that Force 399 played a great part in building the mostly great world we live in today. I truly believe most people living post 1945 are living in a sweet spot. Not perfect but count your blessings daily.
I havent been on this forum for over a decade because I found nearly everything I needed to know. Unfortunately it seems all my emails and notes have been deleted. I had a great conversation going with the French Minisiter of Finance, Thierry Le Breton. He had alot of info on early Commando, SOE and other! Continue your research considering Major David Smiley and Sir Julian Amery. Great leaders and characters. Both became my Grandfathers life long friends. I can suggest a few titles that may have noted your Grandfathers efforts. A must read is and will explain some your Grandfathers brave efforts and experiences, No Colours or Crest by Peter Kemp.
Chat soon
Cheers
Paul
ViA
Forum Member

Let me know your Grandfathers name. My Grandmother still kicking stronger than me at 94 and recalls all names mentioned
Cheers
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

ViA wrote:... Unfortunately it seems all my emails and notes have been deleted...
Paul

Hi Paul,

No your previous posts haven't been deleted...

Type in ViA in the search engine at the top of this page - 'Enhanced By Google' - then scroll down past the 4 adverts and you'll see a title 'Messages posted by ViA', click on that and Voila!

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/03/2021 18:17:18

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Paul & Sfsg,
I have sent you both a PM...

Cheers,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
ViA
Forum Member

Hi Sfsg
Check PM later tonight. You mentioned Whiskey in your post. Were you sent some by your Grandfathers CO. Sir Julian Amery sent a dozen bottles to my Father in Adelaide, Australia when my Grandad passed.
Nice gesture and I recall as a teenager it was Johnny Walker Black.

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger