commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Army & Royal Marine Commando Para operations during WW2  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Jon Gilbert
Forum Member

Hello I'm interested in Army & Royal Marine Commando Para operations during WW2.

I have some information on 10 Independent Cdo (Market Garden), 12 Cdo & a little on 4 Cdo & 45 Cdo RM Airborne LO's supporting D'day parachute op's.

Can anyone help with information or provide suggestions for my research. Any help greatly appreciated, cheers Jon.
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The story of 45 Royal Marines Commando has the story where on D day Lt Peter Winston E troop 45 jumped in as LO with 6th Airborne. Overshot the DZ and went on the run behind the lines until he got back to 45.

10 Inter Allied Commando had ranks on Operation Market Garden. There?s a pair of commando SV boots in the museum in Oosterbeek.

Try Paradata for info on Airborne operations.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Jon Gilbert
Forum Member

Hi Craig thanks for getting back to me & for the ParaData tip. Cheers Jon
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

From Churchill's records:-
''Following Churchill's wishes for "a corps of at least 5,000 parachute troops, suitably organised and equipped" a Parachute Training School was established at Ringway Airport near Manchester, and No 2 Commando was chosen for the first training in parachute duties; the regiment quickly growing into the 11th Special Air Service Battalion and ultimately, on the 1st August 1942, the Parachute Regiment. By the end of World War Two, the Regiment comprised 17 battalions".
Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger