commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Gunner Patrick O'Rourke No.6 Commando  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

On 10 February 2021 it will be 76 years since Gunner Patrick O'Rourke died on 10 February 1945 aged 24 during operations at Maasbracht - Brachterbeek in the Netherlands. Patrick is buried at Nederweert War Cemetery in Holland.

I was recently contacted by Mr Erik Ficken who resides nearby and whose family have adopted the grave of Gunner O'Rourke in order to remember his sacrifice in liberating their village. Erik wanted to contact the Family to keep them informed about the grave and to let them know of the gratitude in their village that still exists for all those who died in enabling their liberation.

Erik also contacted the Town Hall in St. Helens where Gunner O'Rourke was from who referred him to the Local History Society in St. Helens and the Friends of St. Helens Cemetery. Messages were placed on social media and in local periodicals and I am pleased to say very quickly family members responded. Ray Edwards, a nephew, has now provided us with photos of Gunner O'Rourke which are in our Gallery here: http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/6/ORourke/

Erik additionally pointed out that there was a transcription error of the date of death on the CWGC record, and subsequently on our own, which showed the 19th rather than the 10th. All the other CWGC records and the headstone show the correct date. I have amended ours already and have alerted the CWGC to this error.

Our ROH entry is here: http://www.commandoveterans.org/PatrickORourke6Commando.

I would like to thank Mr Ficken, his Family, and all those who remember the sacrifice of Gunner O'Rourke and so many others.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Our thanks to Erik Ficken, his Family, and all our Dutch friends for remembering.

Today, because of our new Coronavirus Lock Down, we soberly commemorated, on the occasion of Your Remembrance Day 2021, Your fallen boys and men, who lost their lives, to give us back our Freedom in 1945. Attached are some pictures of our commemoration in Nederweert (Netherlands).

[Thumb - Gnr Patrick O'Rourke 6cdo.jpg]
 Filename Gnr Patrick O'Rourke 6cdo.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 166 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  198 time(s)

[Thumb - Grave of Gunner Patrick O'Rourke No.6 Commando.jpg]
 Filename Grave of Gunner Patrick O'Rourke No.6 Commando.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 370 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  191 time(s)

[Thumb - Gnr Patrick O'Rourke grave.jpg]
 Filename Gnr Patrick O'Rourke grave.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 240 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  203 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 14/11/2021 15:09:49

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

More photos from Erik.

[Thumb - Nederweert War Cemetery Nov.2021.jpg]
 Filename Nederweert War Cemetery Nov.2021.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 52 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  200 time(s)

[Thumb - The entrance to Nederweet War Cemetery.jpg]
 Filename The entrance to Nederweet War Cemetery.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 457 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  201 time(s)

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The original grave of Private O'Rourke No.6 Commando. View more in our gallery https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/6/ORourke/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/11/2021 14:48:10

[Email]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger