commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
New Military Maritime History Revealed  XML
Forum Index » Commando Library
kewdos
Forum Member

Hi Chaps

Hopefully you will appreciate the information given. Forgive me should this be in the wrong place.

It has been my great honour and privilege to give you back some of the forgotten history you have been a part of. It has taken EIGHT years to research and write - I hope you enjoy it.

Its mainly to do with the Special Forces during WW2. Its 95% NEW information and also puts right some of the misinformation published.

The new publication has sold its first print run within two months and soon will be reviewed in the 'Navy News' and 'The Globe and Laurel' .

The forward is written by Lt George Davies RM (385 Det).

And in his words its 'a gripping tale'. The information within needs to be spread throughout the world as its a whole section of our British history that has been left untold - until now.

The COCKLESHELL CANOES by Quentin Rees

British Military Canoes of World War 2

320 Pages with 137 Photographs. Size 248x172mm

ISBN 978-1-84868-065-4

Filled with many unpublished rare B&W photographs, this publication contains a gripping tale. A tale about a most unusual mode of warfare wrapped up within a very human story.

The remarkable account represents the first and only definitive work of the entire History and Development of British Military Canoes during WW2. Much of the 'Most Secret' information within has never been revealed before.

The story is a celebration of those individuals, some of great fame like ?Blondie? Hasler, and the other Cockleshell heroes, who have become part of canoe history. Many others will be accredited through this work; it is a product of real life testimonies within the stories of the Commanders, Inventors and Designers. It tells of the epic journey of progress that canoe development took from Cornwall, all along the Southern English Coast, even to the tropical Island of Sri Lanka. (Ceylon).

Thousands of various canoes were sent worldwide and used operationally, representing an entirely new facet of maritime military history showing how clandestine warfare was conducted by the various Special Forces during WW2, including the S.O.E. This ?Most Secret? endeavour used the code name ?Cockle? for the canoes. One such 'Cockle' was equally at ease below the water as it was above; it was even suggested that it could be used as a carrier for an Atomic bomb.

The work is deserving of the description 'Indispensable' and tells the dramatic story of the 'Cockles' and how these tiny canoes helped the Allied cause on almost every front.

Q
silvo
Forum Member
[Avatar]

i just finished reading a book on the exploits of Major lyons and various forces including Australian commandos who sailed a small sailing boat "The Krait " over 2000 miles through enemy waters then sank 38000 tons of shipping in Japanese held Singapore harbour .They used the american Fol boat canoes which carried a huge amount of weight including 3 mines in each boat ...

Unfortunately on a second raid in 1945 they were discovered and after an incredible chase the Japanese shot many of them as they island hopped trying to get home .The Japanese final 10 after a court case beheaded them as a mark of honour .The Japanese revered these final 10 Australian commandos who they chased for 1000 miles in there escape canoes .After Catching them In the court case the judge .... told all Japanese soldiers that if you wish to win the war you have to be honourable and as tough as these men as They are the flower of chivalry.

Brave men indeed

Steve Silvester

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/02/2009 23:21:21

kewdos
Forum Member

Hi
Reference the post from Steve Silvester.

After EIGHT years of research I cannot let the wrong information be written. If this is what was written in the book steve read THE BOOK IS WRONG !

I know that the canoes used WERE NOT American canoes.

There is a lot of misinformation about BRITISH MILITARY Canoes in WW2 in some books. If you want to know the correct information about all the WW2 canoes used by the military you need to read 'The Cockleshell Canoes'
The detail and information within will amaze you the ISBN no is 9781848680654.
Reading it will save you from making the same mistakes as in some other publications.

I hope that one day everyone will know of the new information contain in my book.

Q
silvo
Forum Member
[Avatar]

...the book i read was "The tiger returns".

I have no specific interest in military canoes probably more interest in "the sleeping beauties" small submarines which lyons managed to get produced by SOE, specifically for his second raid .

One small point though the first raid was conceived and put into operation with no reference to London and launched from Australia without Lyons ever returning to the UK after the fall of Singapore ,he escaped with no equipment after the Japanese invasion .

Lyons was a loner , well connected ,respected and had the ear of the Governor .Were British canoes in Australia in 1943 ??

Thankyou for the correction if you specifically know fol boats were not used on the first raid, for me it would be preferable to think they were British and after 8 years of research into the subject who am i to argue ...lol

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 18/02/2009 13:51:22

kewdos
Forum Member

Hi

The 'folbots', 'foldboats' etc is a little difficult to understand due to the fact that it has not been documented until now. (My book).

It would be easier if you acquired the book as its the whole 9 yards as the say.

British special forces would have trained on British canoe avail at that time.

Given the time its likely that a certain mk of canoe was supplied but there is only evidence of canoes of a collapsible nature, and it could have only been one of two types and once you know a little about both this can be narrowed down to a specific mark BUT we have no definitive answer only a very high likelihood.

All can be made clear from reading the book. Other types were also sent out to Aust etc once they came on stream.

I dont deal with the raid apart from mention same to do with types used.

I do have the sleeping beauties covered in the book ... to date its the best and fullest history of this craft.

Lyons did not get the SOE to produce the SB but you will see this in the book.

Hope helps - trying to encourage the reading of book...

latest review (one of many good ones).. link..enc.

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/columnists/heroes-small-boats/article-707302-detail/article.html

cut and paste on browser

Q

Q
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

When i visited my cousin in Singapore the other year he took me to Kranji War Cemetery. Theres a memorial to those aussie commandos. They died a hero's death but the murdering japs still had no right to kill them

SE Donnison
[MSN]
kewdos
Forum Member

Sadly there are a number of special forces who were beheaded.

Thats a subject for my next book

Q

Q
silvo
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Stephen Donnison wrote:When i visited my cousin in Singapore the other year he took me to Kranji War Cemetery. Theres a memorial to those aussie commandos. They died a hero's death but the murdering japs still had no right to kill them

Yeah they did die bravely and as hero's Steve..... the Japanese were astonished at what they had achieved...i have a fairly detailed account of the morning of the executions given by the japanese officers present and interviewed when the allies retook singapore.

It was the Japanese honour code what actually killed them ...it was a mark of respect in their case .....on the location where the be headings took place their graves were the only ones to be given crosses....according to records and evidence by others in the prison they were treated extremely well whilst in captivity and unlike many were not mistreated.

Regarding the "sleeping beauties " i think we are talking semantics here when i said Lyons got SoE to produce i did not mean Design ....he saw the first one on trials and with the help of a SOE liaison officer got them put them into production for Operation Rimau using an obscure naval budget

There was great debate over whether the secret weapon should be put anywhere near the enemy ..but Lyons said what is the point of having them then and with his prior success with operation Jaywick they eventually agreed .

I am now a little confused over the type of canoe if the research of the original poster has proven they were not Folboats . The Australian Wartime: which is the official magazine of the Australian War Memorial 23 (2003): 53 states again as does The Book "the tiger returns" they were Folboats. Personally i do not feel it is that important what they were ..one thing is for sure

They were all brave Men and thankyou kewdos for the opportunity, to both acknowledge and remember there exploits and personal sacrifice.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 20/02/2009 04:36:40

kewdos
Forum Member

REf your...

Regarding the "sleeping beauties " i think we are talking semantics here when i said Lyons got SoE to produce i did not mean Design ....he saw the first one on trials and with the help of a SOE liaison officer got them put them into production for Operation Rimau using an obscure naval budget

There was great debate over whether the secret weapon should be put anywhere near the enemy ..but Lyons said what is the point of having them then and with his prior success with operation Jaywick they eventually agreed .

[b]I am now a little confused over the type of canoe if the research of the original poster has proven they were not Folboats . The Australian Wartime: which is the official magazine of the Australian War Memorial 23 (2003): 53 states again as does The Book "the tiger returns" they were Folboats.

Its important BECAUSE its history that has been hidden until now and history has to be accurate otherwise you have people saying certain things that spread disinformation unknowingly.

Just because you read something in a book does not mean its accurate and a point of case is what you have written.

REF your

he saw the first one on trials and with the help of a SOE liaison officer got them put them into production for Operation Rimau using an obscure naval budget

First you have to establish WHEN he first saw the 'first one on trials' then you have a date, then you find out where he actually was to show that he was not there anyway. then that dispels what you believe to be true.
No liaison officer got them put into production for Op Rimau specifically. and NOT using a obscure naval budget.

Ref this part it just doesn't hold up ..There was great debate over whether the secret weapon should be put anywhere near the enemy...

Its too time consuming to go over everything just to show that what you have read doesnt stand up.

Get 'The Cockleshell Canoes' book and read it , not only will it explain about the foldbots but also about the SB's.
Then you will see that other publications that say certain things are inaccurate and that the research has been far too light.

To explain to you about the foldboats and the sb here would entail copying the book out... and i didnt spend all those years getting it right to then spend more time explaining it again.

The book contains c. 95% NEW information its 320 pages and 137 photos most of which have not been published before. VERY little has previously been written about the canoe/story about 50% of which is wrong.

You will learn so much and realise so many new bits of crucial info that you will then wonder how others got it so wrong.... I would answer 'because the story required far too much energy and research, they just didnt want to spend the time and trouble getting it right..

Please the account about the SB is the fullest to date and answers all the questions and then some that you could ask. ITS ALL EVIDENCED.

YOU can go and view documents etc and check that I am correct. THATS the joy of it. AND it saves you eight years of you life and a lot of grey cells working it out.

read about the folboats etc you will then see that certain craft were produced at certain times therefore it narrows it down to a certain type.

etc etc.etc etc.

Just because the official magazine of the Australian War Memorial states something it doesnt mean its correct.
I have had reviews in newspapers and other places that have got facts wrong about what they have read from my book... its called human error.
I call it lack of attention to detail.

You only have to look at some of the stuff on the web to see how crappy some people are at just reporting so I am unsurprised to find that the official magazine are saying certain things..

In this case its just you interpretation of what you are reading that is not correct - if you read my book it will become clear. HONEST.

They dont KNOW what a foldboat is........ have they definitive photos or drawings with records showing which canoes they used? NO so they hear a word and use that.

Are they talking about Mk 3's? these could be faintly confused as foldboats?

Maybe the mk 2's?

I know that they cannot be either of these craft... find out why..read my book.

Got to go - have to live my life.

To quote from a recent review of the book...

'The Cockleshell Canoes by Quentin Rees, price £19 99, is published by Amberley Publishing Plc. At first glance it might seem heavy going in places but for anyone interested in the finer detail of war it is well worth reading'.

:)
Q

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/02/2009 10:17:16

Q
silvo
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi Quentin ...

i am sure you are perhaps missing my point slightly, i think because i never put it across very well .Being an academic who has studied the Battle of Britain for 35 years and a researcher for a number of technical articles run in the Times. I understand fully the need for accurate primary and secondary research and the need for using multi strand evidence to support hypothesis.

I am sure for anyone wishing to study which canoe was used ,where and for what reason it developed a certain way, your book is well up there and possibly definitive.

The only point i wanted to make was to thank you for the opportunity to discuss the men who used the equipment, as the success of the Jaywick mission was primarily down to them .The equipment i suggest in this case is not as relevant as the bravery of the users. I personally do not care if it was a mk1 or a mk2 or a tea tray with 2 pencils as paddles ,however i am sure many people will be riveted,and as you correctly point out it is historical fact, In a world where history can be rewritten it is important to be as accurate as possible until more evidence comes along to support or correct .

Have you read "The Tiger returns" ? I know it is hard to get and long out of print .I have lent my copy out ,however the date and place where Lyons first viewed the SB's is given, along with the location, names of who were present and the details of subsequent meetings regarding there use.

it may well have sourced the same research you have used, but the book is primarily about the men and the mission in particular Major Ivan Lyon his dogged approach and disdain for red tape . I do accept it possibly has not gone into the minutia of the equipment selected .If any of this stuff is of use to you in the future feel free to ask and i will send it up .

The Australian war museum has a photograph of 2 members of Z force training for Jaywick and carrying the craft to the water .perhaps you could possitively identify which craft they are using from that it is AWM P01806.008

As i previously indicated I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject
and wish you all the success in your literary endeavour.

once again thanks for the opportunity to discuss the brave men of the Australian Commando's and Z force there endeavour and sacrifice.

This message was edited 10 times. Last update was at 20/02/2009 15:37:30

kewdos
Forum Member

Hi

I only wonder how the 'evidence ' put in the tiger book was obtained... there is so very much inaccurate you do have to wonder.

agree about men etc

What I have issue with (no with you) is certain aspects re who what when about the SB and Lyons.

other issues such that Hasler thought the SB was a death trap need more evidence than because someone wrote it.

There is no evidence to that point in fact the contrary.

In short once you realise how what about the SB story you co relate that with what you knew before and see that someone is wrong. As mine can be evidenced ...........

Maybe i am a purist...
Q

Q
silvo
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi again

purely as an aide to you in your further research, i had a mooch around today and found written transcripts of an interview with the sole remaining member of Jaywick

He described just before leaving for the mission an aircraft arrived from the uk .carrying the newly developed "plastic explosive" and also new boats which were at 16 ft ..4 ft bigger than the ones they had practised on (the old ones were given to the Americans)..

he describes the boats in some detail including there makeup and how they were were put together .

if it is of use to you pm me and i will fwd the details

good luck with your future books

Steve

ps) in relation to "other issues such that Hasler thought the SB was a death trap need more evidence than because someone wrote it."

the only thing mentioned as to safety in " the tiger returns" ..is to report the incident where the naval guy who was testing the SB looped it under water and got into trouble when water leaked in and had to be rescued after that looping them was forbidden also in a subsquent book published last year it reports one man died while testing at staines reservoir ....if you want further details on this ...names etc .i will have my copy back by Monday

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 21/02/2009 23:02:01

Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

ive found some pics I took in Singapore Brave men indeed
[Thumb - 23-02-2009 18;06;28.jpg]
 Filename 23-02-2009 18;06;28.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 136 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1090 time(s)

SE Donnison
[MSN]
silvo
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks steve ...i will try and make the epitaph a bit clearer so people can read it .

For all those who have followed the thread .The book i quoted from
"Return of the Tiger " was written by Brian Connell a former RM Commando

A noted journalist he was himself captured by the Japanese on pearl harbour day in indo-china and after returning to the Uk , served in the European campaign as a RM Commando and worked in wartime intelligence with the Navy

It is said he was addicted to facts and he also wrote "Watcher on the Rhine" .Also the highly accliamed "Plains of Abraham.and "Portrait of a whig peer"

His contemporary biographies included the Duke of Bedfords "A silver plated spoon" The Mountbatten's Family and Douglas Fairbanks jnr amongst others ,

The information for the tiger book all came from official records ,meetings with survivors all across the world and his personal experience . However it should be noted some records may only have become available after the publication of the book due to the 30 yr rule

He also became the preferred commentator for ITV on foreign affairs and royal occasions .being a stickler for accuracy he was eventually marginalised but was much loved by the public at the time.

I the light of this man being a former commando I think it fitting
that if the Auction is a success and continued ,that i offer the book for auction ..

all the best ..

Steve Silvester
silvo
Forum Member
[Avatar]

bigger shot of memorial attached (its bigger when downloaded)

cheers steve for uploading this
[Thumb - rimau memorial  singapour.jpg]
 Filename rimau memorial singapour.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 201 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1058 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 24/02/2009 14:45:32

Forum Index » Commando Library
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger