commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commandos on the Isle of wight  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Tony Bevis
Forum Member

I have been researching servicemen that died on the Isle of Wight in WWII, there were 4 Commandos among them, three died in training and they all had inquests held the results of which were as follows:

James Frankland PARKER
Death from shock and haemorrhage caused by multiple injuries received when an anti-tank grenade prematurely exploded at Cherverton Down during exercises on the 14th May 1943. Accidental death.

Frederick Harold BROWN
Haemorrhage from a wound to the heart caused by a bullet from a Thompson sub machine gun fired by the deceased while the balance of his mind was disturbed.

John Alan Laing PEEBLES
Congestive heart failure caused by a wound of the left lung and pleural cavity received when an anti-tank grenade prematurely exploded at Cheverton Down, Shorewell during exercises on 14th May 1943.

Harry GUINAN did not have an inquest
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thank you Tony. Do you have the source references and I will add them to the information we already had on each man from the Unit War Diaries.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Tony Bevis
Forum Member

The Inquest information comes from The Coroner's Expense Book AC2007/15/1 held by the Isle of Wight Record Office, the inquests were as follows:

Parker -Number 47/1943 held 17/05/1943 at The Library, Parkhurst Barracks

Brown -Number 50/1943 held 07/06/1943 at the Town Hall, Sandown

Peebles -Number 51/1943 held 12/06/1943 at the Reading Room, Albany Barracks, Pankhurst

Inquests were not held on deaths from natural causes or those resulting from enemy action so it is unclear what the cause of death for Guinan was
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks Tony

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
PhilipCSwift
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I had no idea the IoW was used for Commando training. I live there now and my Grandad is buried one village down from Shorwell. (Capt. Cyril Charles William Swift).
PS: Pankhurst should be changed to 'Parkhurst'. As in the HMP site, which was an old barracks site.

Philip Charles Swift, grandson of Capt. (acting) Cyril Charles William Swift.
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Philip,

No.5 Commando and 40RM Cdo were both based on the Isle of Wight at differing times.
Both used the Upper Chine School, in Shanklin, as their HQ and were billeted al along the Island's south coast. There are plaques commemorating 40 RM Cdo on the gates of what used to be the School.
No.5 Cdo suffered a tragic accident during an exercise up on the Downs behind Ventnor when a grenade went off prematurely, mortally wounding Capt Peebles and James Parker and injuring a number of other commandos.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/02/2021 17:39:15

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
PhilipCSwift
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nick

Thanks for the info'. Now you mention it my grandad did mention Shanklin Chine and I went there a few years ago. I'll drove over tomorrow and have a look at the plaques. I did not know they were billeted at Upper Chine School; interesting. Can I ask if you know much about these types of tragic accident? I think I am right in saying my Grandad lost his best mate when a mortar round delayed going off. I can't believe he almost looked in the barrel, but that what I seem to remember my mum telling me; but who knows? Head off job. Shame it could not of been a hosepipe instead! The thing when you get tempted to look into the end, then your mate turns the tap on and gets you right in the face.

Much appreciated

P

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/02/2021 18:05:09

Philip Charles Swift, grandson of Capt. (acting) Cyril Charles William Swift.
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger