commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No.6 Commando and 5th Battalion operations between 13th Dec 1940 to 11th March 1942  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Malcolm King
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My father John King 3249164 enlisted with Cameronians (S.R) and was posted to 5th Battalion Special Services on 13th Sept 1940 then to No.6 Commando 5th March 1942. After that his War record shows he was then posted to Burma and served with Green Howards 22nd may 1942 then with 142 Reg. 77 Brigade 15th June 1942. After that he was with 5 coy Cameronians (SR) on 13th March 1943. he completed 3 years in Burma and was repatriated late 1945.
He never discussed any of his war time activities with my self or any of my siblings and when he died in June 1998 I did not have any details which may help to fill in these blanks in his wartime activities. Now my grandchildren are asking what did he do during the war, and without the fine details it would be good to know what operations he may have been part of, and where his area of operations were, hence my request on this forum. It would also help me confirm what medals he would have been entitled to wear.
I have some photos which I would be happy to share, of him and unknown comrades in unknown locations. Any information about what these units he was with during the times noted would be most welcome , and who knows some of the unknown comrades me be recognised by their descendants.

I now know that he was posted to 5th Battalion Special Services march 1941, from no 6 Commando, then to Draft RZGHA march 1942 posted to India and attached 2nd Battalion Green Howards at Jibblulpore May 1942 the posted to 142 Commando 77 Bridgade June 1942 and the formation of Chindits under Maj. Ore Windgate and Maj. Mike Calvert
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Malcolm

Feel free to post your photos as attachments in a reply to this message. Any problems just email them direct to me (click on email below). You have duplicated your message in another forum topic. This can lead to replies on different messages rather than all on one so I will delete your second post. We have a Pte . J King in the No.6 Commando nominal roll so I will update that soon with the details you have provided. If you post a photo of your Father I will add that to the gallery.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Are you able to take a photo at best resolution of the service record timeline of postings and send it to me. Try to get as much of the page in as possible.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger