commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Re: Corporal CH/X 3155 George Richard Blumsom 40 RM Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Paul Blumsom
Forum Member

I have already posted this on one of the other forums but this appears to be the more appropriate forum for this request for information on colleagues that served with my father (Corporal George Richard Blumsom) with 40 RM Commando.

I am trying to identify two marines who were pals of my father known only to me by their nicknames 'Taff' and 'Snaky'.

Working on the obvious assumption that Taff is Welsh, my research reveals that one Lance Corporal PLY/X 100676 Frank Reginald Hastings, 40 RM Commando, was killed in action on the 18/01/1944, the same day that my father was wounded in action. Lance Corporal Hastings hailed from Milford Haven in Pembrokeshire, Wales and is a strong candidate for the man who I believe was my father's best friend in the unit. These events took place in Italy following the crossing of the Garigliano and the attack on the German positions there.

I am reaching out to other members of the forum in an effort to establish which Troop Lance Corporal Hastings was posted to, if this proves to be 'A' Troop it would strengthen my theory that he is the marine that died in the presence of my father. If this is true, I hope that it might be of some comfort to Lance Corporal Hastings' family that his best friend was with him when he passed away.

Paul Blumsom
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Not sure if I mentioned this before but the War Diary for 40RM Commando is available from the National Archives for free download if you register. Here is the link: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2954419

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger