commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No.2 commando Salerno 1943  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
David Short
Forum Member

My uncle Charles Holmes was injured at Salerno is there a list of men injured so I can find his group and service number. He was blinded with shrapnel and spent the rest of his life in Coney Hill mental hospital in Gloucester until his death in the 1970s. I WOULD LIKE A ROUTE TO FIND ALL HIS ARMY YEARS BUT OTHER SITES NEED SERVICE NUMBER OR GROUP.
David Short cheltenham

David Short.
GUY
Forum Member

David,
Was your uncle's full name Charles William Holmes born 20th September 1915?
Guy
David Short
Forum Member

Thanks Guy it may be William not sure the only thing we know is he was born around 1915 or 1916 to parents Samuel Richard holmes and Anniesland Evans in Charlton Kings Cheltenham. I am afraid my family were all very close but did not relay any backgrounds.I assume he joined the army in 1939 but no idea if he was in another regiment. I only know he was a green beret because I have seen photos but do not have any now.

David Short.
GUY
Forum Member

David,
I believe that Charles William Holmes (born 20th September 1915) is your uncle. In 1939 he was a plumber residing at 3 Charlton Cottages, School Road, Charlton Kings, Gloucestershire, with Emma Evans (his grandmother)
His army service number was 5682443 and he was serving with the 7th Battalion Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. He was wounded in action at Salerno, Italy on 9th September 1943.
News of his wounding was reported in the Gloucestershire Echo 11th October 1943. His father, S.R. Holmes, is mentioned.
You could apply for his service records which would confirm if he served with the Commandos?
Good luck with your research
Guy
P.M. me and I can send you the full page from the Cheltenham Echo

[Thumb - HOLMES C.W..png]
 Filename HOLMES C.W..png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 202 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  252 time(s)

[Thumb - HOLMES Charles.png]
 Filename HOLMES Charles.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 164 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  276 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 02/05/2020 14:31:14

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi David,

As Guy suggests, you should apply to the MoD for his service records...
The MoD is the only custodian of WWII service records - so please don't bother wasting you money on commercial online genealogy site such as Forces War Records, Ancestry or Find My Past etc. Despite their claims, they will not have his record.

You will need a copy of his death certificate - if you do not have one you can obtain one from the Gov.Uk website.
You will need either his service number OR his date of birth
You'll need to fill out the two forms (links below)
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/711147/20180524-request_service_details_NOK_part1_v6.2.pdf
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/869588/army_application_part2_final.pdf

And there is a one off fee of £30

Any questions, email. pm or post in this thread...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
David Short
Forum Member

Guy you are brilliant it is Charlie, so pleased after using other sites, a good week to remember him and all those who fought.
Nick also thanks for your advice.Guy can I order from the site any copy of his service number etc.

David Short.
David Short
Forum Member

Guy you are brilliant it is Charlie, so pleased after using other sites, a good week to remember him and all those who fought.
Nick also thanks for your advice I will send details because I know be was a green beret and would like to have all his records, after Salerno he did not have a life and should be remembered.
Thanks
David

David Short.

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger