commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No.9 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I've just been going through No.9 Cdo nominal roll and I noticed a couple of typing errors which need amending.
I have double checked both mine and Graham Cooper's masters just to be sure and they are both right.

McVlearie J. 2932647 Cameron Highlanders

should read: McClearie

MEewan W. 2990926 A & SH

should read: McEwan

MLiver E.M. 273196 RA

should read: McIver

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

All done.
Have also added the first names of McIver as only initials were shown -
Edward Melville McIver.
1943 Commissioned Second Lieutenant RA 1st May 1943 (LG 36037);
1945 War Substantive rank of Lieutenant (LG 37454).
2nd June 1951 promoted Captain, RA. (LG 39253)
2nd June 1958 promoted Major, RA (LG 41401)
29 Nov. 1967 retires (LG 44461).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/12/2019 20:06:22

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
John Davidson
Forum Member

I attach a photo of my father Jock Davidson of 9 Commando. He is the Private J Davidson referred to as the Bren gunners left on the landing craft on Operation Sustar and manage to get 2 burst of fire into the fuselage of a German Stuka. His great friend was Alisdair Cameron and I also attach a picture of him which appears on No 9 Cdo gallery. Both pictures appear to have been taken in the same studio, so I presume they were together at the time.
[Thumb - 5355ED52-A43D-4C21-A05D-FD292CDAAB57.jpeg]
 Filename 5355ED52-A43D-4C21-A05D-FD292CDAAB57.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  718 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/07/2021 23:45:42

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi John

You appear to have posted the photo of Private Cameron twice. Can you try posting the photo of your Father again in reply to this message and I will then remove the duplicate photo above. Any problems just email me via the email button below.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
John Davidson
Forum Member

I realised this after I pressed submit. Here, I hope, is the correct photo. I was just interested in the fact that both photo?s appear to have been taken in the same studio.

Can this photo be added to the 9 Commando gallery?
[Thumb - 0DFD2B42-31D7-4A1F-B36B-BFC09168ECDF.jpeg]
 Filename 0DFD2B42-31D7-4A1F-B36B-BFC09168ECDF.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 17 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  708 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks John

I have deleted the duplicate. Do you have a higher resolution copy of the photo of your father. The one you have attached is very low and will blur when enlarged.

Pete

[Email]
John Davidson
Forum Member

I still have the original and can increase the resolution. I will forward it shortly.
John Davidson
Forum Member

Here, as requested, a higher resolution photo of my father, Pte Jock Davidson. Yes, he was christened Jock.
[Thumb - Pte Jock Davidson.jpeg]
 Filename Pte Jock Davidson.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description Pte Jock Davidson
 Filesize 413 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  652 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks John that is much better. Do you happen to know which Troop he served in, his former regiment, and his army number ?

We have a photo with signatures on the back and a J. Davidson has signed it. Can you check it out to see if it is your Father by any chance. it is of 5 Troop and dos enlarge to reasonable quality: http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/9/5+Troop/

[Email]
John Davidson
Forum Member

His former regiment was Royal Scots Fusiliers, Army number 3133213 serving from 15 February 1940 to 21 Apr 1946. I don?t know which troop he was in, I haven?t been able to find him on any photos in the gallery. Also I have not been able to find him on any of the usual service websites even using his army number. On the 9 Commando nominal roll appears a John Davidson - Fus, I can only presume that maybe this is him, but he was christened Jock. Although he didn?t talk very much about his service, he did tell me something rather interesting about the early raid on Houlgate, Operation Sunstar, claiming that the official history was incorrect.

Regards,

John
John Davidson
Forum Member

Hi, thank you so much for the link to these photos, and I can confirm that my father does appear on it. He is second row, third from the right, and I also recognise his signature on the reverse.

Regards, John.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi John
Glad you spotted your Father in the Troop photo. I have added the photo you posted to the No.9 Commando gallery and it is currently on page 1. Here is a link to it. If you provided dates and places of birth and death I will add those.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/9/

Pete

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 25/07/2021 18:54:43

[Email]
John Davidson
Forum Member

Hi, thanks for putting my Dads photo on the gallery. His date of birth was 31 July 1917 in Ossett, West Yorkshire and his date of death was 28 March 1980 also in Ossett, West Yorkshire. I am a little confused about his former regiment, as he always told me he was Royal Scots and very proud of that fact, however his release document says Royal Scots Fusiliers.

Regards,

John

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks John

I have updated the gallery image now. I can't really help you in the slight confusion you mentioned other than to say maybe he just dropped the word Fusiliers when talking about them. Who knows. Here is a link to the actual image:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/9/Pte+Jock+Davidson.jpeg.html

There is a useful online tool to check WW2 service numbers (see link below) and you will see his is in a batch for the Royal Scots Fusiliers

http://www.corpsofmilitarypolice.org/tools/armynumber

[Email]
John Davidson
Forum Member

Hi, that was very helpful, thank you.

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger