commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Reg Downes No.2 Commando  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

It is with much sadness that we advise you of the recent death on Sunday 3rd November 2019 of Reginald William Downes who served as a Private in No.2 Commando from 1941 until it was disbanded after the war had ended. Our deepest condolences to his 2 sons, Kenny and Jimmy, and all his Family and friends.

Reg was 97 years old and his funeral will take place on what would have been his 98th birthday - Tuesday 12th November 2019 at 12 noon at Woolensbrook Crematorium, Hertford Road, Hoddesdon, Herts. EN11 9BN.

You can read more about Reg in our archive entry here: http://www.commandoveterans.org/RegDownes2Commando

Rest in peace Reg.
[Thumb - Reg-Downes.jpg]
 Filename Reg-Downes.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 6 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  267 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

For those of you who were at the Fort William remembrance weekend in 2014 you may recall Reg on the right with his fellow No 2 Commandos Eric Buckmaster in the middle and Johnnie Morris on the left.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
JOHN W
Forum Member

A deeply sad loss of dear close friend of my family, many happy memories of Reg and his wife,Violet, at the Alex Hotel in Fort William for many years at the Remembrance weekend. Reg kept us all amused with the funny stories from the times spent with his comrades in the Commandos. He will be sorely missed by many and our condolences to both his boys Kenny and Jimmy and their families.
REST IN PEACE REG.
Our fondest regards.
John and Jan White and family.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/11/2019 12:40:21

[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

So sad to hear this news. I know how close John White and family were to Reg. My condolances to them and his family.

A wonderful photo of him with Eric and Johnny.

Janet

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger