commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Possible No1 Commando photo?  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi
I have recently come across an old photo of my father's, I think it may be of my father and group of soldiers, from the RWF / SWB, taken during the Malayan Campaign in the 1950's. However in the event that it may be a Commando photo from his time with No1, I have decided to post it on the forum to see if any one can either confirm or disprove this.
My father is seated at the very front of the photo and has a white label on his hat that seems to have written on it a number (possibly 4 or 6) followed by the word "Tramps", as you can see from their appearance they are having some sort of celebration and clearly the theme is one of Tramps!
If any one can provide any info regarding this photo ie is it Commando or not I would be most grateful.

Cheers Andy
[Thumb - group1.jpg]
 Filename group1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 313 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  508 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/01/2009 20:36:59

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Hi Andy, a very interesting photo, which does give a post war feel for some reason. They are definitely drinking Holsten Pils, which wasn't imported into the UK until 1952. I think the card on your Dad's hat may read 'IC Tramps', which could suggest that he was either senior in rank, he organised the function, or maybe he was just scruffier than the others

They do seem to be having a good time anyway. Thanks for the post.

HNY

Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Geoff

Thanks for the reply, yes I am inclined to agree with you, it does have a post war feel to it. As I stated in my initial message I think the photo was taken during the Malayan campaign in the 1950's which I definately know that my father was actively involved in, however I will wait and see if any one else can provide further info regarding its provenance. You stated that the letters on the label were probably I C suggesting that he was in command, what does this stand for - "In Command"?

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

To be IC of something means that you are in command or in charge i.e. SNCO IC Welfare would be the Senior Non-Commissioned Officer in charge of Welfare. It seems to me that someone has jokingly nominated your Dad as IC of Tramps, which may suggest that he had something to do with the organising of the function, or he may have been appointed IC as a result of winning a game at the party or having the scruffiest fancy dress.

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Geoff

Thanks for the info, my father would have been an NCO at the time this photo was taken which I think was during the Malayan campaign. His tramp outfit is certainly more tramp like than any of the others in the photo. I have actually got loads of photos of my father from his time with the RWF (post WWII) and have found a website that has been set up as a specific photographic archive for this Regiment and I plan to scan and upload these on to this site in the near future. The originals along with his RWF artefacts I am going to donate to the RWF museum situated in Caernarfon Castle. I also have to decide where I am going to donate his Commando Artefacts to (once I have kicked the bucket) ie The RWF (his parent regiment) or the Commando museum in Scotland (assuming of course that they would be interested). I have just finished mounting and framing the Commando artefacts and will shortly photograph the whole display, which is comprised of five large frames and upload it on to the Memrobillia section of the Forum for any one who may be interested.

Cheers Andy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/01/2009 02:04:08

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger