commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
4th Annual Commando Commemorative March 2009  XML
Forum Index » Association Events
Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear All,

I am delighted to announce the forthcoming 4th Annual Commando Commemorative March 2009.
The Achnacarry to Spean Bridge march shall take place on Saturday 4th April to mark respect for all Army Commandos that trained there.

The 2008 march saw some 85 WW2 re-enactors arrive from throughout the UK, Poland and the Netherlands, and there should be at least as many, if not more in attendance for 2009.

The 7 mile march will start at Achnacarry House and end at Spean Bridge Railway Station. The route passes the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge where a service and wreath laying ceremony will take place.
The march also includes WW2 trucks and jeeps, a piper, padre and MP`s on road duty.

A dinner shall be held on the Saturday evening at the Spean Bridge Hotel, followed by a ceilidh or dance.
Commando veterans have attended previous marches and we are greatly indebted by their presence. Last year we were honoured by the attendance of Leslie Whipps of 9 Cdo. We would be most grateful for veterans to honour the 2009 event and, should they choose, participate in the march.

Some further details of the 2009 and past marches can be found here -
http://www.combinedops.com/Commando%20March.htm
and some images can also be seen in the forum post below regarding the 3rd annual commemorative march.

For veterans planning to attend, please contact Peter Scally by e-mail at [email protected] or by phone at 01655 760 380 (UK)

All the best,

Macdonald

- Commando D Living History Group -
www.commandod.com
[WWW]
sgtmoon
Forum Member

hi all can anyone who would like to come along to this please let me know .
if you are a veteran we would be honoured to have you as guest of honour at the dinner on the saturday night but we need to know who is coming
[WWW]
sgtmoon
Forum Member

ok this years march will be a sponsored (march/walk )to try to collect money for help for hero's.
you can download :
SPONSORSHIP FORMS - Start fundraising now!
Pack contains . . .Individual Sponsorship Form - One sponsor per page, great for leaving a batch with friends who can help you fundraise. List Sponsorship Form - To carry with you and get sponsorship from lots of individuals on the same form.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/downloads.html

hope it works as I am not to good at this:pete PS ordered T-Shirts with this years badge on

[Thumb - Commando_March_2009_Filled.jpg]
 Filename Commando_March_2009_Filled.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description this year T-shirt badge and they are £10 and are on an army issue green T-shirt not the green you see here
 Filesize 40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  624 time(s)

[WWW]
sgtmoon
Forum Member

thanks to all who got back to me we now have 3 veteran's who will be guest of honor at this years march and dinner ,we also raised £400 so now we can pay for there rooms and dinner (thanks to Miss Mary Devlin of Prestwick Ayrshire who held a dance for us to get money to help take veterans up to spean bridge for this years march )

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 24/02/2009 10:54:59

[WWW]
Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

There shall be a new addition to the March this year, a post-dinner Commando auction :)

No, this ain`t where you buy and sell recruits...., this is open for all groups and group members to donate WW2 and Commando related items towards an auction that shall be held after dinner on Saturday night.
All proceeds shall go directly towards next years event, specifically towards covering transport and accommodation for veterans attending.

This shall be a great way to raise funds, assist veterans and keep our March alive!
Anyone is welcome to donate items such as books, kit, equipment, weapons, collectables, etc. From toggle ropes to tanks, get them in! ;)

Spread the word to your units and please return details of items offered directly to myself either by pm here or by e-mail at [email protected]

Cheers All!

Macdonald

www.commandod.com
[WWW]
Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear All,

A brief report from the annual march.

This was a great success and tremendous event overall, with participants arriving from throughout the UK as well as Ireland, Holland, Norway and Poland.

The gathering started on Friday night at the Spean Bridge Hotel, where familiar faces met once again in preparation for the weekend ahead.

Saturday morning, and a parade held outside the hotel, with all troops inspected and ready for transport in wartime jeeps and trucks to Achnacarry. From there, line-up and marching off to the piper playing Black Bear.

6 miles later, there was a moving service and wreath laying at the Commando memorial before marching down the hill to the hotel.
Many of the participants raised a good bit of money for Help for Heroes as part of this event. The total amount is yet to be established, though should be well into four figures. Well done lads!

Saturday evening saw a grand dinner followed by an after-dinner auction. I arranged this as an entertaining way to raise further funds for charity. It was a great success, with a total of £351 raised, and all proceeds going directly to the CVA :)

Sunday morning, and in tribute to all who trained on these grounds, Bart (big tank of a Dutch lad), Mike and myself pulled on full kit once again to take on the 7 mile Spean Bridge - Achnacarry speed march. Bart and I came in at 1hr10mins and Mike not far behind us, "taking it easy" with a dodgy knee!

A great event and weekend in all and we look forward to the 5th Annual Commemorative Commando March 2010 :)

This really is a nostalgic and meaningful event for all involved and it would be a real privilege to have CVA members on board for the 2010 march.

Some photos of the weekend -

Morning Parade.

March from Achnacarry.

At the Memorial.

Spean Bridge Railway Station.

Regimental Dinner.

Speed marching to Achnacarry House.

www.commandod.com
[WWW]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Excellent Paul!

SE Donnison
[MSN]
sgtmoon
Forum Member

yes well done Paul and to ALL who made the effort it was a sad day for me stepping down as the organizer of the last 4 marches but i know that i have past it on to the writ man who will only make it a far better march than i did any help that i can put in just ask take care and hope to see you all at the 5th Annual Commando Commemorative March 2010
Paul I must say thanks for keeping it as a Commemorative March as when I first organize our first march it was to show our gratitude to all who served in combined ops in WWII .and i think thats what we all have done so keep it up
[WWW]

Forum Index » Association Events
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger