commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando Memorial, Spean Bridge  XML
Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Gordon Murray
Forum Member

I took this photo of the memorial at around 03:00 on Saturday 25th March, 2017. The photo is a single image, not a composite, and shows a section of the Milky Way in the background and I thought after looking at it that it was very fitting. Many men must have looked out on these stars during training and never returned. If anyone wants to share this please feel free to do so. If there is anyone out there who thinks that they can make any money out of this to donate it to the Veterans Association, then please let me know and I can send you a logo free full scale copy. My late father was a veteran, although not a Commando, so I always like to help wherever I can.
[Thumb - _X4H9741.jpg]
 Filename _X4H9741.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 494 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  979 time(s)

Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Magnificent photograph. Thank you.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Brilliant, Gordon.

Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Gordon

Fantastic photo, I have now got it as a screen saver on my laptop.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Great photo.....thanks for posting.

Regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

that is really good

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Wonderful. Many thanks.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
JMB
Forum Member

A few more of the Spean Bridge Commando Memorial

Spean Bridge Commando Memorial

And the Lochaber memorial

The Commandos in Lochaber Memorial Stone

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Great JMB was at the memorial today.

Many thanks.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
JMB
Forum Member

I took a few in the snow today (forgot my tripod unfortunately so might go back if the snow still around tomorrow).

Added on the end of the complete album on FLICKR

Forgot that cannot upload images, so scroll down to the second page on the link.

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Many thanks JMB

Wow brought back wonderful memories.

Bill

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/01/2018 21:00:38

Bill Harvey
JMB
Forum Member

Someone has asked whether William Fairbairn attended the unveiling of the Commando Memorial.

I have been through contemporary newspaper reports and he does not get a mention though there is only a short list of people who did attend.
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

JMB

It would be interesting to see the list of names. Mum was one of the No 4 widows who met the Queen Mum that day and laid a wreath.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
JMB
Forum Member

Bill Harvey wrote:JMB

It would be interesting to see the list of names. Mum was one of the No 4 widows who met the Queen Mum that day and laid a wreath.

Best wishes.

Bill

I think the widows were named and there was a picture. Going out but will check when I get home - send me a private message with your EMail address and I will send copies of the whole pages direct.

JMB
Forum Member

I was up at the Commando Memorial[/url] recently hoping to watch the Red Arrows going over but they did not follow the published route. Looking around the 'Area of Remembrance' I noticed all the unit commemorations so went back a few days later and took pictures of these and added to pictures on FLICKR.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/doffcocker/albums/72177720315179091/

Though I made a note of "44 RM CDO BURMA" and cannot find the picture and also not found it again.

I have also uploaded these onto the IWM War Memorial Register

I went back and took lots of pictures of the individual commemorations though not got them all. I did think of putting on the IWM WMR but I will just upload the most noteworthy ones there because there are nearly 200. All the individual commemorations are uploading to FLICKR at the moment and will be there shortly.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/doffcocker/albums/72177720315185958/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/doffcocker/albums/72157626852583223

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 02/03/2024 12:43:29

Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger