commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
4th Cdo Memorial Hauger  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Ian Tyson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I returned from Normandy yesterday having successfully located the 4th Commando memorial in Hauger. The gardener in charge of the Ranville Cemetary told us in 1949 that my father had first been buried in an orchard. I was so pleased to find the photo placed in the Gallery by Stephane titled Hauger Juillet 44, that I set out to find the memorial in that photo. I assume that it is the same memorial which appears in the other two photos titled Monument Hauger 1996 and Hameau Hauger.
I only have schoolboy level french, but after driving several times along the Route de Salenelles, I turned into Rue Patra. This was because a small sign at the junction points to Hameau Oger. Imagine my surprise when I found the memorial and the chateau!
I only recently received my father's War Service papers from Glasgow, and the Services & Casualty Form indicates that my father was buried at 12917598 on Sheet 40/16/NW. I had already purchased a copy of this old D-Day map, and that causes me to enquire about the history of the memorial. Has it been moved to its present position from somewhere in Rue Oger? Is there any record of the soldiers who where buried at this site? Stephane's photo shows a group of soldiers standing by the memorial beyond the graves - was the memorial already there, or was it 'appropriated' from a local cemetary and re-engraved?
The present memorial is in a beautiful setting and I would like to thank those who maintain it. Is this done by the local villagers? Is there a fund to which I might contribute? Who do we have to contact at the Pegusus Bridge Museum in order to publicise the locations of these memorials?
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Ian

My name is Bill Harvey and my Dad was in A troop of No4 and was killed in action on 1 November 1944 in Flushing. It would be good if you got in contact with Stephane who no doubt will be able to answer your questions.
If you do get an answer and directions it would be good to post them on the CVA site so others could benefit.
So glad that you managed to get to the memorial.
Best wishes. Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello

The 4 cdo monument was in an orchard in the chateau field. But they moved it at the square for the people could visit it.
I'm surprise than there is any panel for the monument.
If you walked to a small path near the monument you pass front the old chateau, destroyed now.
all this area was the " 4 cdo area"
sincerely

stéphane

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger