commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
12 commando E troop photos  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
doug_cobham
Forum Member

Has any one pleas got photos of 12 Commando E troop pleas 1940 to 1943 .my farther William J Cobham was with 12 and 5 Commando
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Doug,

Do you know when your father joined No12. Commando?

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
doug_cobham
Forum Member

Hi Nick
My farther was with 12 Commando from 8/12 /1940 to 22/12/1943 then posted to 5 Commando

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 06/02/2015 10:04:19

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Doug

We have the memories of Sgt. John Huntington who was also in 12 Commando E Troop in the same period as your father available for you to download and read here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/node/1685

I think you will find them quite interesting.

Best regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Graham49
Forum Member

Hello Doug,

my father, Sgt Joseph Henry "Tim" Robinson, also served in E Troop 12 Commando until September/October 1942 when he left with Captain Pinckney and a small number of others to join the Small Scale Raiding Force and then on to 2 SAS. I'm afraid I don't have any photos of his time with E Troop but he did keep a small notebook during that period in which he listed men involved in exercises with him, on charges, rifles issued etc and Fus Cobham's name does appear. If you like I'll scan that section for you and send it to you.

If you do turn up any photos I would be very grateful to know.

Best wishes

Graham
Graham49
Forum Member

Hello Doug,

thinking about it I do have two photos of some men from E Troop when in Dover for Operation Chess July 1941. However, they are very small and it's hard to pick out the faces for identification. However, if your father was one of the men involved (I thing about 17 were actually on the raid) you might recognise him. If you let me have your email address I'll send them to you along with a few scanned pages from my dad's notebook.

Do you have the names of any of the other men your father served with as part of E Troop or any photos of that time? I'm trying to build up a picture of my father's war time experiences and every piece of information helps.

Regards

Graham
doug_cobham
Forum Member

Hi Graham
I would love any thing on twelve Commando E troop you have .I was 10 years old when my dad died the only thing I have is a copy of a book your uncles written by Roger and Anne Gresham Cook one of the uncles was Philip Pinckney it cover his time with 12 Commando will scan page and send you copy .

Regards Doug [email protected]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Graham

If you are able to additionally scan and send any information to me, I will add what we can to the website should you wish that. My email is below and on the Contact Us page of this site.

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/03/2015 20:50:35

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Graham49
Forum Member

Hello Doug,

I'll send the photos and some pages from my father's notebook later today to your email address.

Hello Pete,

I'm very happy to have the photos on the site and was already in correspondence with Nick about something else and have already sent him the photos which he offered to upload. Hope that's alright - I can copy you what I've sent him if you like?

Regards

Graham
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Graham

No that's fine. I'll leave it with Nick. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks for sharing them.

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have added the two photos of E Troop, No. 12 Commando to the Gallery.

They can be found by following these links:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/12/Dover+29+July+1941+Operation+Chess.jpg.html

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/12/Dover+E+Troop+12+Commando+1941.jpg.html

As Graham said, they were very small so I've tried to enlarge them slightly.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger