commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Memorabilia-How can you tell it's genuine  XML
Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Everyone

I've been collecting memorabilia for the WW2 Commando units for about 4 yrs now and mainly concentrate on my dads units No 12 & no 1 Cdo.

But like everyone at first I was confused as to how to tell the difference between repro and fake items and the real thing.This applies particularly to insignia and the like. I was given a very good tip from a friend who has a massive collection of militaria.

As a rough guide quite simple really old things smell 'OLD' so smelling may seem a strange tip but you will be surprised as to what a good tip it has proven to be. Get yourselves a look at the real thing if possible and compare the smell with a newer fake the difference is quite obvious.

Once you seen touched and smelt the real stuff they'll be no going back.

Good luck folks

John M

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/04/2007 15:54:54

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

hockhamlain
Forum Member
[Avatar]

In addition to your advise ref collecting, I have collected the F/S knife for a while now, not much of a nose to them! and I must be honest and say I have bought some outstanding rubbish which wouldn't look out of place in some of the high street discount shops. There are a lot of dealers who claim to be selling the genuine F/S and once bought it is quite obvious to the purchaser that these are indeed rubbish. The genuine article will have a price tag which reflects its collectability, be aware of the knives on e.bay, count the rings round the handles on the 3rd Issue there should be approx 27 ribs, there are some that only have 16, these are a cheap foreign copy and not recommended. If you are setting out to start collecting buy the books first and read up all you can, if you are lucky anough as I am to get first hand advice then, that can also be very useful. My knowledge is of 3 types of original F/S being, types 1st Issue(very Expensive) the 2nd Issue approx 2nd WW, and the 3rd Issue,2nd WW up to present day, there are also variants of these Issues, there are also display knives of various qualities. I wish you all good hunting, and please be aware I am in no way claiming to be an expert, just passing on some tips they may help you spend wisely and not be fooled as I have been. Regards. Hockhamlain.
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Hockhamlain
Thanx for the tips..........yes there is some real rubbish on ebay. I must admit to falling foul to being 'mislead' a couple of times myself.

It's difficult when you just see pictures of the items and some times the sellers have no idea of what they have got anyway. They just see 'COMMANDO' equals cash and whack it in the auction and see what happens.

If more of us can share knowledge like this we can help each other to not get duped in the future.

So thanx again H

John Mewett

UWC

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/04/2007 12:35:08

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Ted Land
Forum Member

Also another way is to pass Black light (ultra violet) over the back of any clothe badge/title, do this in a dark room. you can buy small hand held lights. Its pretty much like when you go in a night club and they have UV lights, everyone's Tshirts glows!The man made fibres glow which gives you an good indication that it has been recently made/copied.
Hope this helps

Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger