commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Carrier?  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Weapons and Equipment
Shaun
Forum Member

As some of you will know i am currently writing a book about the RAMC attached to the Commando's. Whilst reading through a set of orders. Its mentions at the very bottom of this document (excuse typing as it is badly printed).

Greeno, Grenco or Groono Carrier to be carried at the Troop Commanders Disgression.... What is one? I am thinking some for of stretcher maybe?

I only ask as I was wondering if it may be a Commando specific item?

Never look down on a Medic, one day you may be looking up at one...
Shaun
Forum Member

It has been suggested that this carrier was re-named the Everest carrier as seen in WW2 photos etc. Would this be an option?

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Shaun,

Lt Col Tom Trevor wrote a Combined Services Pamphlet (No 24) 'Cliff Assaults' in which he describes the use of a Neil Robertson stretcher for evacuating casualties up or down the cliff face - this stretcher is semi-rigid and wraps tightly around the casualty and there are various, updated, forms of it still available today.

[If you find the post from Belly in the thread below and open the published copy there is a good photo of the Neil Robertson stretcher in use and also a description on how to deploy it.]

http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/3066.page

I believe the 'Everest Stretcher' takes the form of a sled and would not have been as practical, as the Neil Robertson, to take on an assault.

The only other thing I can offer is could the word be Ferno - I'm sure that's a name you're familiar with but, for the sake of those who aren't, Ferno have been manufacturing stretchers & gurnies for many years and certainly their products were used during the WWII.

Hope this helps - keep us updated,

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/12/2014 12:49:20

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Shaun
Forum Member

Hi Nick,

Cheers for the reply. I have covered the Neil Robertson Stretcher, its a cracking bit of kit!

I was thinking the Carrier was a back pack style item? Like the Commando Bergan or Everest carrier...

But will fill you all in if i manage to find out what this item was.

Danny L
Forum Member

Hi,
It looks like it might be called the "Green Carrier". A bit about it here
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/212002-ever-heard-of-the-green-carrier-wwii-backpack-style-stretcher/

And as you have said also called the "Everest Carrier".

Regards

Danny

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Weapons and Equipment
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger