commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Sgt Joseph Henry "Tim" Robinson Operation Basalt October 1942 Small Scale Raiding Force  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Graham49
Forum Member

My father Sgt Tim Robinson took part in Operation Basalt, a raid on the Island of Sark, in October 1942. He served in E Troop 12 Commando, SSRF and subsequently in 2nd SAS. I would be interested to make contact with anyone (or a relation) who served with my father and particularly whether anyone is aware of a Gunner Redborn (or Redbourn) who gives a very detailed account of Operation Basalt which is reproduced in most books about the raid.
My father also took part in Operation Chess (with E Troop July 1941 France), Anklet (with E Troop December 1941 Lofoten Islands), Speedwell (with 2nd SAS September 1943 Italy) and Wallace (with 2nd SAS August 1944 France).
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Graham,

In answer to your query regarding a Gnr Redborn / Redbourn.

There are references to a Bdr Redborn in a book called Britain's Band of Brothers, by Tom Keene [ISBN 9780752489902]

The book is about the history of the SSRF

I hope this may help

Regards

Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Graham49
Forum Member

Hello Graham
Thanks for your reply. The references in recent books to Gunner Redborn all, as far as I can tell originate from Suzanne Lassen's book about her son Anders. She refers to interviewing him. However, as yet I can find no other source reference to him in the testimonies of others or official papers.
Thanks once again
Best wishes
Graham
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Graham

if you have a photo of your father that you would like posted in our No 12 Commando gallery please either scan and post it here, or contact me by email with it and I will add it. You can also register yourself on the gallery yourself should you wish, and once you receive the approval notification you can upload it yourself into our holding Album on the main gallery page

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Graham,

Do you know your father's service number & parent regiment so that I can add it to the No12 Cdo Nominal Roll?

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Graham49
Forum Member

Hello Nick,

my father, Sgt Joseph Henry "Tim" Robinson, service number was 894174.

His parent regiment was the Berkshire Yeomanry Field Battery Royal Artillery.

He served with E Troop 12 Commando, subsequently with SSRF/62 Commando and 2SAS.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Graham
Graham49
Forum Member

Hello Pete,

I have a photo of my father which I would be happy for you to post for me. However, I don't seem to be able to send you an email with it.

Any advice you can give me?

Graham
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Graham,
Many thanks for the info and the PM. I will amend the No12 Cdo Nominal Roll immediately and will upload the revised edition, to the Documents Section, on my return from my camping expedition... ;-)

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Photo from Graham now added to the gallery: Sgt Joseph Henry 'Tim' Robinson

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger