commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Frederick 'Roy' North, My loved Grandfather. Personal Project.  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Sam North
Forum Member

Hi everyone,
I am looking to find some more information on my granddad (I have found two images in the gallery that I can clearly identify him in) He was in No3 Commando, 4 Troop and served in Italy, Normandy, Sicily, North Africa, France and Germany. He missed D-Day by two days because he was in a military hospital as soon as he found out the landings took place he broke out of the hospital to join his comrades. I have got one name he was said about (The only one) a guy he referred to as 'Ragged Robin'.
I am looking for some information on my grandfather because I am interested to know more.
I am also looking for anyone that may have served in the same troop as him or took part in similar campaigns for to photograph as part of a personal photographic project (part of a photo-therapy process) so if anyone knows of any reunions or any veterans that maybe would like to talk to me for a while (Il buy the beer or the tea and cake) then it would be very interesting to find out dome more information and see if I can get some of the stories documented before its too late to do so at all.

A young photographer who's grandfather served in 3 Commando during the war and I am trying to find out some more information.
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi Sam,
In your message you say you are looking for info on your grandfather.

You don't say if you have any of his service details,so if this helps, here are his details

5955941 LCPL F.R. NORTH of the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment,assuming this is your grandfather, there is a further piece of info - in an old Commando newsletter there is an Obituary notes stating only " 3 Commando, LCPL Frederick Roy North of Stevenage,Hert

That is all the information I have ,but hope it helps.

Regards
Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Sam North
Forum Member

That is fantastic help, thanks. I was wondering if anyone knew of my granddad or know anyone that did/does?
Is there any place I can go to find out troop deployments for my granddads unit?
Thanks, Graham.

A young photographer who's grandfather served in 3 Commando during the war and I am trying to find out some more information.
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Sam,

I'm in touch with the daughter of Frederik ROBBINS 3 Cdo 4 Troop KIA 20 08 1944 near DOZULE. So, maybe he is the ROBIN you'd mentioned
I know and have copy about the photo where we can see your grandad after the Dieppe Raid in august 1942.

Best wishes

stéphane
Sam North
Forum Member

Wow, that name is what my father thinks relates to the name Robins.
He was known as ragged Robin if that may help with your contact with the family?
The dates you have suggested match that of when/where my father said he has died, he was shot and killed by an MG42 stood not far from my grandfather apparently.
Would it be possible to see a copy of this picture you mentioned?
Regards Sam.

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Click on his name below to view the photo we have of his grave:

In Memory of 72278 Private Albert William Frederick Robbins
Somerset Light Infantry and No. 3, Commando
who died on 20 August 1944 age 23
Remembered with honour at Ranville War Cemetery.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/04/2014 22:33:58

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello

I laid flowers on F. ROBBINS's grave in June or August, and at Christmas each year.

I met his daughter few years ago, and we are since in touch. I introduced her to Jim CLINTON 4 Troop and
it was a "special" time for both, because Jimmy was near her dad when he died.

I send to you a private mail

stéphane
Sam North
Forum Member

Thanks for all the help, it is the same friend that my grandad spoke dearly of to my father occasionally.
This whole process is fascinating, the facts I have dug up about my grandfather and what his time in the army was like. Hoping to try and find a veteran of Army Commandos to talk to about serving in the Second World War and serving as a commando.

Sam North
Forum Member

bump

steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

This is the photo, from BOB CUBBITT, who wrote the names on.

I sent an e-mail to Frederik ROBBINS's daughter but any answer for the moment.
Please send to me a PM, and maybe i could give you the address of someone who could speak to you
about your grandad. ( I hope )

best wishes

stéphane
[Thumb - 3 Cdo Dieppe BOB CUBBITT.jpg]
 Filename 3 Cdo Dieppe BOB CUBBITT.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 831 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  505 time(s)

steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello SAM,

I met yesterday evening in Ouistreham Bert BEDDOWS 3 Cdo 4 Troop, but he didn't recall your grandad.

Don't know if you've seen this photo before, but your grandad is on.

Best wishes

stéphane
[Thumb - 3_cdo_4_Troop.jpg]
 Filename 3_cdo_4_Troop.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 68 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  496 time(s)

Sam North
Forum Member

Hi Stéphane,
I have seen it, there are two more images of my grandad in the gallery but I haven't been as to update a home on names as of yet. When I get home I will post them on here.
Many people seem to have served in 3 commando 4 troop, there where men that my grandad could not remember according to my Grandmother.
Thank you ever so much for all of the kind help, it is truly fascinating subject and heart warming getting to know my grandfather again.
Sam.

Sam North
Forum Member

Hi everyone,
I have just found out some more information on my grandfather. During the war he was named 'Titch' we think because he joined up under age and was one of the youngest in the troop. I wondered if anyone had heard of anyone being named Titch in conversation with any veterans or relatives?

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger