commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Lt George Arthur Knowland VC ....Kangaw Burma  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Lt. George Arthur Knowland VC
As January draws to a close I would like to remember Lt G A Knowland VC and those officers and men of the inaugural 3 cdo Brigade who fought that climatic and decisive action on Hill 170 Kangaw Burma in1945 Especially all those wounded and those who paid the ultimate price.
Posthumously awarded the VC for his heroic action at Kangaw Burma 31st January 1945 and formerly a sergeant in No 3 Cdo Knowland he was posted to No 1 Cdo as a Lieutenant.
Lt Knowland was a Section commander in 4 Troop No 1 Commando on Hill 170 on that day.
Harry Winch (12/1Cdo) and Jack Cox (12/3Cdo) sent me a signed testimonial on George Knowland and I would like to share a couple of quotes from it. Knowland was affectionately nicknamed ?Nobby? by his comrades . Jack served with Sgt.Knowland in Sicily whilst in 3 Commando. Harry served with Lt Knowland whilst in No 1 Cdo in Burma.
?As a person Nobby was quietly spoken he never used two words where one would suffice. In battle, against the enemy, as I was later to see for myself, he was calmness personified, able to think straight no matter how stressful the situation, focussing at all times at the task in hand. He seemed to know always what to do next in combat-a superbly outstanding and inspirational commando figure.?
?His utterly cool courage, no matter what was happening, was infectious on the rest of us, imparting a confidence, much needed at the time, on that Dantes inferno of a ridge.?
?He was an exceptional person in action particularly when the fight was at its most fierce. I can in fact still see his face today, cool headed, completely detached from all the dangers around us, still keenly looking for the enemies next move. Commando leadership at its very highest.

We Will Remember Them
[Thumb - IMG_1204.JPG]
 Filename IMG_1204.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 886 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  543 time(s)

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger