commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
F/S Knives  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
beerie89
Forum Member

Does anybody know where to buy f/s knives, none on ebay anymore due to restrictions.

Cheers
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

There are none left. John M has them all. )

I held one at the Militaria Fair I was at a few weeks ago but somebody was on their way to buy it. Mind you, I wouldn't have stumped up that kind of money anyway.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
beerie89
Forum Member

Yeah the originals are a fortune!

A repro one will do any ideas?
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Now, they're 'easier' to get, I believe.

I think I'd rather have one that had been used by a Commando in battle. I remember my dad telling me about the knives, the photo we were looking at was the first one with the wavy 'bit' and he said his had a straight ... erm ... 'bit'. He also said that he'd had to hand his in - well, mam told me, dad just did his usual nod.

I'm well up on these knives as you can see. )

Good luck!

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

[Email]
beerie89
Forum Member

I think mine would have been lost when it came to handing it in!!!!

Id love an original but I avnt got hundreds to spend :(
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Do your search on e-bay worldwide and not UK.
Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
beerie89
Forum Member

ried a few from ebay.com but they wont post to Uk cos of our knife laws.
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Try this link for dagger

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=111126395781

Extracts from following web site:-
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?31912-Importing-knives

"The following are liable to seizure at entry into the UK:
Any knife which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, sometimes known as a "flick knife," or any knife which has a blade which is released by gravity and is then locked in place, sometimes known as a "gravity knife."

Any disguised knife, for example, a knife which has a concealed blade or concealed sharp point and is designed to appear to be an everyday object (such as a comb, brush, cigarette lighter.)

Belt buckle knives - covered by disguised knives, really. A knife that fits into a belt buckle. Balisong knives, also known as "butterfly knives."

Any stealth knife, i.e.; a knife or spike which has a blade made from a material that is not readily detectable by apparatus designed for detecting metal and which is not for domestic use, for food or preparation or is not a toy.

Push daggers - a knife the handle of which fits into the fist with a blade that protrudes between two fingers. This does not apply to gut-hooks or similar knives used for the preparation of food or hides and other similar tasks. It really means a weapon, rather than a tool that fits the description.

Sword sticks or any variant thereof. Although exceptions are made for antiques (more than 100 years old) this
exception does NOT apply to flick knives or gravity knives.

Fixed blades.

A note on these items. Generally, you may import any fixed blade, be it knife, sword, machete, and so on; with no problem. However, there is a restriction upon the importation of curved, samurai-style, swords. If it is a cheap replica, it may be seized. I emphasise "may" because there are exceptions.

And, yes, I work for customs.

Regards, Mick."

I recently imported two repro. WW1 R.W.F. De-Walden trench sword from the US with no problems, but was stung with import tax and UPS costs.

Kevin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 30/07/2013 00:34:32

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I saw the top one last week. Yes, I was tempted. :-)

[Email]
Seaforth72
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Original WWII F-S Fighting Knives in Canada tend to sell as follows:

Knurled grip, straight guard. (2nd pattern) As issued c. 1943 onwards, usually with B2 /|\ marking sell for about $450-600. If with Wilkinson etched crest then they are at the high end. Named knives (name etched on blade by Wilkinson's are perhaps double the above and are very scarce. (Happily I have my father's 1943 one!)

Ringed grip (3rd Pattern) as issued c.1944-45 in time for D-Day 1944-06-06 sell for about $150 - 300.

I saw several original F-S Fighting Knives for sale at a gun show this morning in Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada (2013-08-17) but I did not look at the price s as I have a fair number already. A friend is selling those. I may have an original 3rd Pattern ringed grip one for sale with a corroded blade from another friend's collection.

If you can import them back into the UK, then we can find them over here. Why? Because an American surplus dealer bought about 250,000 of them surplus after WWII and had to stamp ENGLAND on the cross-guards to show the country of origin and then they farmed them out to surplus stores across North America. About 1970m I bought a mint condition knurled grip B2/|\ (2nd model) for $18 and carried it in the army. Tip: If an original F-S Fighting knife is stamped ENGLAND on the cross-guard, then it was sold surplus, so there is no known service history.

Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
Captain (retired)
Son of Lieut. A. H. "Pete" Stevens, who had been attached to No. 4 Commando in 1943.
Collector of Canadian and British sniper rifles.
Richmond, British Columbia, CANADA
[Email] [WWW]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Seaforth72 ... if you find a knife (preferable one issued to one of the Army lads) and it's going cheap ... don't tell the others, just pm me - ok?

) :)

[Email]
Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ebay.com is still a good place for originals. You would need a US mate to buy it for you and ship it over though ;)

I currently make and offer a range of FS knives based on wartime specifications. Free postage/shipping for veteran/serving personnel an all CVA members of course!

http://macdonaldarms.com/armoury/FairbairnSykes.php

- Commando D Living History Group -
www.commandod.com
[WWW]
patrick kozakiewcz
Forum Member

Great site run by Roy Shadbolt. He offers knives for sale.

http://www.wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/Home.html

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger