commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
DDay photo - As shown on the Ch4 As it Happens - Who was the 3rd Person along with bike?  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
jane060644
Forum Member

Hello everyone,

Please may someone help with a query regarding a photo shown in the DD ch4 program.

Along time ago when I was trying to track down my dads DD movements, I was sent a book called D-Day Spearhead of Invasion by a kind comrade who lived in Canada and said he knew of my dad.
He told me that he was on page 48 of that book, the 3rd person along with the bike. This was in 2001.

I could not believe my eyes when I see this exact same photo shown on the DDay program as it happens.

I was hoping that Scottie Scott may have mentioned his name when being interviewed about the photo at the very end, but unfortunately only mentioned the first two in the line.

Please can anyone confirm the name of the 3rd person with the bike as im so sure its my dad.
Thank you.

Jane
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jane

The photo you refer to is, I believe, this one in our gallery : http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/Dad+on+his+bike.jpg.html

Can you confirm that and also can you tell us what was the name of your father ?

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
jane060644
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

Thanks very much for your reply. Yes this is the photo I am referring too.

My dads name was Ronald Siddall, nicknamed Sid. I am lead to believe he was third in line with the bikes, behind Jennings in 2nd place.

Would you or someone you know be able to confirm this for me please?

Thanks again,

Jane.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jane

I'll see what I can find out. In the meantime if you have any photo of your father from his time in No.3 Commando please feel free to post it here or email a copy to me: http://www.commandoveterans.org/site/contact-us

Regards

Pete Rogers

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

Hello Jane,

The Lost Legion list 10 has a Private R Siddall of 6 Commando. The photograph you mention features men of 3 Commando.

Regards

Guy
jane060644
Forum Member

Hi Guy,

Yes you are right my dad was attached to - 6 Commando Private Ronald Siddall.

When my dad passed away Dec 1999 one of his comrades wrote to me saying he knew of him.
He sent me some e-mail pics and also the book i have mentioned on this forum.
I was always lead to believe that this was my dad and the person leading the line was called
Paddy Gallergha whom was killed on the River Aller crossing.

In some ways he does!

Kind Regards
Jane

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jane

I have spoken to our Chairman Stan 'Scottie' Scott and sent you a private message with details about the photo. I will update this forum message later for the benefit of others with additional information about the photo.

Regards

Pete

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger