commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Operation Aquatint Survivors - Warrant Officer Class II Thomas William Winter MM  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Harry Houtzager
Forum Member

Hello,
Do you know if Warrant Officer Class II Thomas William Winter MM is still alive.
I have an important message about Jan Hellings for him.
Jan Hellings, (John Holling) was also participant in Aquatint.
He is has survived the war! This is not known to Thomas Winter!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/03/2013 13:14:59

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Harry

I have received your email and will make some enqs for you. You have posted this same message on several different threads within the forum which is not required so I will delete the others and just leave this one

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Harry Houtzager
Forum Member

Pete wrote:Hi Harry

I have received your email and will make some enqs for you. You have posted this same message on several different threads within the forum which is not required so I will delete the others and just leave this one

Regards

Pete

Ok Thanks
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Harry,
I too received your email, thank you, but, as Pete is already making enquiries, I'll leave it him to see if he can find out about CSM Winter, MM.

For anyone who is unaware about Operation Aquatint:

Operation Aquatint was the codename for a raid by British Commandos on the coast of occupied France in September 1942 on part of what would later become Omaha Beach by No. 62 Commando, also known as the Small Scale Raiding Force (SSRF).

The SSRF men on board that day were Major Geoffrey Appleyard, Major Gus March-Phillips, Captain Graham Hayes, Captain Burton, Captain Lord Howard, Lieutenant Hall, Maitre Desgranges (French), CSM Winter, Sgt Williams, Private Hollings, a Dutchman whose real name was Jan Hellings, Private Orr, a Pole whose real name was Abraham Opoczynzki and Private Leonard, a Czech whose real name was Lehniger.

Prior to the operation, a raid on the French coastal town of Dieppe had placed the German occupying forces on a high state of alert, and this ultimately contributed to Aquatint's failure. The SSRF were also unable to identify their correct landing place due to the darkness. Within minutes of landing, the raiding party was ambushed by a German patrol and forced to try to reach their Motor Torpedo Boat (MTB) transport. The MTB was located and engaged by the German shore batteries, which damaged one of its engines. It was forced to withdraw, leaving the commandos behind. At the end of the raid those commandos who had not been killed all became prisoners of war. Only five of the raiding force would survive the war; one was killed in captivity and the fate of the other two was uncertain.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Ron Youngman advises me that Tom Winter MM died many years ago. I have advised Harry by email

Rest in peace Tom

https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/WW2/SSRF/Warrant+Officer+Class+II+Tom+Winter+MM.jpg.html

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 17/11/2021 00:20:36

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
stephenginhampshire
Forum Member

I am not a Commando but picked up this question whilst doing a Google search for Tomas William Winter MM (Bill), I am doing a research project for the Christ Church graveyard in Ramsdell, Hampshire

Thomas William Winter MM died on the 11th May 2002, and he is buried in the Christ Church Ramsdell Cemetery.

Regards

Stephen Gould

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 15/11/2021 22:22:42

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks Stephen, but that is not our Thomas William Winter who was the subject of a detailed report in the Daily Express here:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/history/1497494/007-james-bond-inspiration-war-hero-tom-winter

Born: 01-01-1905.
Died: 12-04-1995.

There was a William Thomas Winter of The Hampshire Regiment who was awarded the MM. In 1950 he also got a Mention in Despatches in Malaya for his gallantry. Might this be your man as I believe Ramsdell is in Hampshire ?

National Archives file reference:WO373/3/35
Description:
Name Winter, William Thomas
Service No: 5499226
Regiment: 1 Battalion The Hampshire Regiment
Theatre of Combat or Operation: Sicily
Award: Military Medal
Date of announcement in London Gazette: 04 November 1943.

Still in the Hampshire Regt, Mentioned in Despatches Malaya 1950 London Gazette 39214.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 16/11/2021 23:13:43

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger