commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
River Kwai  XML
Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Im off up the River Kwai area in 3 weeks. I presume there are no Commando graves around there .If there is could someone let me know who and I 'll photograph it

SE Donnison
[MSN]
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Sounds great, could you share some photos of your adventure when you get back.

Had to remind myself where exactly it is : http://www.bridgeriverkwai.com/

Are you going into what was Burma now Myanmar ?

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Its in Thailand mate .,my cousin has been and says its very moving

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Stephen

I am not sure exactly where these are in relation to where you are going. There are certainly two Cemeteries with Commando graves:

Rangoon War Cemetery : http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/92001/RANGOON%20WAR%20CEMETERY

Taukkyan War Cemetery: http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/92002/TAUKKYAN%20WAR%20CEMETERY

If needed I can provided a full list of Commandos buried there

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Sorry, I meant as you are going all that way, are you crossing over the border into Burma as well - if you can even get a visa ? . From the map it looks relatively close as the crow flies to the Myanmar/Burma border. But saying that the roads don't look very good.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=ubuntu&channel=cs&q=Kanchanaburi&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x30e3796ad8b7d8bd:0x304fb54b0087ac0,Mueang+Kanchanaburi,+Kanchanaburi,+Thailand&gl=uk&ei=DYwwUe3RMaeZ0QXvgoHgBw&ved=0CL8BELYD

I would like to visit Burma one day.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/03/2013 13:03:04

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Looking on the map now, Taukkyan looks a long way off in Yangon !!

Kanchanaburi War Cemetery and Memorial is close by, but as far as I can see no Commandos are buried there

http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/2017100/KANCHANABURI%20WAR%20CEMETERY

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/03/2013 13:12:11

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I m off to an Aussie wedding at Phuket ,then a few days in Bangkok ,then up the Kwai for a 2 day stay The Aussies have sorted it ll out so i have no idea where Im going ,I too would love to go to Burma

SE Donnison
[MSN]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete wrote:Looking on the map now, Taukkyan looks a long way off in Yangon !!

But there are a number of No5 Cdo in Taukkyan, Stephen...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I was fortunate enough to go to Burma last year, but sadly despite best efforts wasn't able to visit the cemeteries in and around Yangon. We went as part of an organised trip but I'd be more than happy to travel independently in Burma. It would be a heck of a road trip to Yangon, but you can probably get a flight from Bangkok for less than £100 (Air Asia or Bangkok Airways). Visas are no problem but you need to get them in advance, you can download the forms from the London embassy website and hand them in in person. How can I put it there embassy is a little 'rustic', they only take cheques, the phones don't work and you have to guess the postage for the return of your passport! By far the safest and easiest (and expensive) option is to use Visaswift.com which is waht we did.

We absolutely loved the country, the people, the food and their culture and would highly recommend it to anybody. Since the end of 2011 they have opened up for tourism and the local people are so welcoming and really want to encourage people to go, they want people to experience Burma and see that its changing. Ethically, Aung San Suu Kyi herself wants tourists in the country and so long as you try and avoid the Junta run hotels and attractions you'll be giving very little support to them. You are advised to bring your own money though in US$ as there are no cash machines, but they were just getting wifi when we visited!

Tempted?! You should be!!

Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Paul. Maybe a future CVA trip ? I would be interested. Sites in Burma and River Kwai maybe.

Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

It would be an expensive one! :D
Flights are the main cost, we flew with Malaysian Airlines via Kuala Lumpur, but once you are there hotels and food are really very cheap. We went with Explore! to get the best value out of the expensive flight you could do a tour then just book extra nights at the end to do the military sites?

cheers
Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I remember a commando vets trip to Kangaw that was shown on the telly, would love to go there

SE Donnison
[MSN]

Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger