commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
3rd Annual Commando Commemorative March 2008  XML
Forum Index » Association Events
Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear All,

The 4th and 5th April 2008 shall see the 3rd Annual Commando Commemorative March from Achnacarry to Spean Bridge to mark respect for WW2 army commandos that trained there.

Over 70 re-enactors have declared an interest in this year's march. A piper and padre will be in attendance as well as, hopefully, WW2 trucks and jeeps with two MPs on road duty.
The march is not an endurance test since the participants vary in age, fitness, experience and background... but all have a high regard and respect for the traditions and achievements of the Commandos.

The 7 mile march will start at Achnacarry and end at Spean Bridge. The route passes the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge where a wreath laying ceremony will take place.
WW2 Commandos have attended earlier marches and have enhanced the proceedings by their presence. They are most welcome to attend the 2008 march and, should they choose, to participate in its proceedings.
The kit list for all re-enactor Commandos in the 2008 march comprises BDs, webbing battle order i.e. 37patt web belt and straps, bayonet, water bottle (full), two ammo pouches (full), gas mask bag, small haversack (full), on head green beret, ammo, boots and web anklets. Minor differences allowed for different countries of origin (French, Dutch, Belgian etc).
For the mess dinner best BDs (all clean and pressed) boots (polished), belt and anklets or service dress or mess dress for the unit participants portray.

Please find further details online at http://www.combinedops.com/Commando%20March.htm

All the best,

Paul Macdonald

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/02/2008 14:44:55

- Commando D Living History Group -
www.commandod.com
[WWW]
Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear All,

Just to mention that this was a great weekend for all involved and went extremely well.
We were honoured to be joined by Leslie Whipps of No. 9 Commando, who led the march from Achnacarry House to the memorial on the Saturday.

Myself and colleague put in a speed march in full kit from Spean to Achnacarry on the Sunday to experience the road and hard graft that all veterans today would be more than familiar with. The experience without doubt has left us with nothing short of complete respect for those who trained there, and a committment to continue training to better our time for future marches.

A brief report with further photos and reports can be found here -

http://www.combinedops.com/Commando%20March.htm

A few pics taken on the day -

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/12/2008 12:09:50

www.commandod.com
[WWW]
Anthony peter Harkness
Forum Member

Hi to all who attended the March on 4/5th April, although we did not take part in the march or official proceedings, (we went to see the place my great uncle Peter Harkness of 2nd Commando trained), both my father, George and I would like to thank everyone who made us feel welcome that weekend and was great to meet people keeping the memory of the brave men alive.

Ps, please find a couple of photos we like.
[Thumb - Picture 061.jpg]
 Filename Picture 061.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 922 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  540 time(s)

[Thumb - Picture 065.jpg]
 Filename Picture 065.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 869 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  540 time(s)

[Thumb - Picture 055.jpg]
 Filename Picture 055.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 982 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  537 time(s)

Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks for posting your pics Anthony!

They are very fitting images for what was a seriously moving service at the memorial.

It was a real honour to be standing there beside Leslie Whipps, who stood on the day for all veterans past and present.

The march is an annual event and I`ll be sure that details of the next one are posted in good time.

We will remember them.

www.commandod.com
[WWW]
Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

It seems a few of the site members were there. I had the good fortune to be there quite unexpectedly. My girlfriend arranged a surprise 45th Birthday present for me as I have been meaning to visit the memorial, Achnacarry and the museum for some time and was equally surprised to find the Commando Commemorative March on during my stay.

As described the ceremony was very moving and the up most respect for Leslie Whipps who stood to attention proudly in a driving horizontal hailstorm that stung my face.

A couple of good shots attached.

[Thumb - P1000677.JPG]
 Filename P1000677.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 3184 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  516 time(s)

[Thumb - P1000684.JPG]
 Filename P1000684.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 3471 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  568 time(s)

sgtmoon
Forum Member

A BIT BELATED BUT THANK YOU ALL FOR THE KIND WARDS BUT WE DO THIS MARCH NOT FOR OUR SELF BUT TO HONER ALL WHO SERVED IN WWII COMMANDOS AND THAT WE WILL NEVER FORGET WHAT YOU ALL DID FOR US TODAY.WE WILL TRY TO DO THIS EVERY YEAR AND THERE'S AN OPEN INVITATION TO ALL TO COME OR TAKE PART WHAT EVER YOU'D LIKE

THE NEXT MARCH WILL BE ON THE FIRST WEEKEND IN APRIL 2010
[WWW]

Forum Index » Association Events
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger