commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Was Royal Navy Beach Commando Nan N2 My Dad's Unit?  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Summary Punishments: - (1) The following punishments may be awarded
summarily to sailors other than Artificer Apprentices and Boys under training
subject to the provisions of the Act and these regulations and may be referred to
by the numbers prefixed to each of them, namely: -
No. 1 - Imprisonment for a period not exceeding three months:

No.2 - Detention for a period not exceeding three months.

No.3 - Dismissal from the Naval service;
No.3A - Forfeiture of seniority in rank of not more than 12 months in case
of Master Chief Petty Officer
No.3B - Forfeiture of time for promotion of not more than 12 months in
case of Master Chief Petty Officer;
No.4 - Reduction in rank;
No.5 - Fine in respect of Civil offences;
No.6 - Mulcts of pay and allowances;
No.7 - Omitted;
No.8 - Solitary confinement in a cell or under a canvas screen for a period
not exceeding fourteen days;
No.9 - Deprivation of Good Conduct Badge and Good Conduct Medal;
No.10 - Reprimand by the Captain;
No.11 - Extra work and drill for a period not exceeding fourteen days;
No.12 - Stoppage of leave for a period not exceeding sixty days;
No.13 - Extra work or drill for not more than two hours in a day for a
period not exceeding seven days;
No.14 - Admonition.

(2) The punishments which may be awarded to Artificer Apprentices and Boys
under training shall be as set forth in Chapter III of these Regulations.o

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Blueboy
Forum Member

Kevin wrote:No.11 - Extra work and drill for a period not exceeding fourteen days;

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for that. Could I ask where you got the info from please. I have also been informed of an offence of Naval Discipline Code No. 11 which was striking a superior officer.

He only ended up serving 4 days so that doesn't seem much if he did indeed use violence towards a superior.

Remembering my dad, Able Seaman John Couch (known as Jack or Taffy) RN Beach Commando N2.
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Regulations for the Navy part 2, Mod.
I would imagine that the offence of striking a superior officer would demand a greater punishment than extra work and drill. (This I know from my father's expirience in India/Burma).

Blueboy
Forum Member

Kevin wrote:Regulations for the Navy part 2, Mod.
I would imagine that the offence of striking a superior officer would demand a greater punishment than extra work and drill. (This I know from my father's expirience in India/Burma).

Thanks for that, Kevin. I'm inclined to think that No.11 referred to his punishment now and that he was awarded 14 days extra work but only served four of them.

Just when you think the journey's over...

Remembering my dad, Able Seaman John Couch (known as Jack or Taffy) RN Beach Commando N2.
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

He could have been given only a 4 day punishment out of a possible maximum of 14 days for a minor offence.
Kevin

Blueboy
Forum Member

Kevin wrote:He could have been given only a 4 day punishment out of a possible maximum of 14 days for a minor offence.
Kevin

It actually said, 'October 15th A.B. Couch transferred to GLENGYLE to carryout 14 days No. 11'

then, 'October 19th 'A.B. Couch rejoins'

Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Just as examples of punishments, looking at my great uncle's ww1 service record he was given three days punishment and loss of one day's pay, for missing church parade. Also 14 days detention for being off sick after having a tattoo in France, (he was a bit of a lad, having recieved three gunshot wounds on three different occasions).
Kevin

Blueboy
Forum Member

Kevin wrote:Just as examples of punishments, looking at my great uncle's ww1 service record he was given three days punishment and loss of one day's pay, for missing church parade. Also 14 days detention for being off sick after having a tattoo in France, (he was a bit of a lad, having recieved three gunshot wounds on three different occasions).
Kevin

The punishments at that time were harsh for sure.

Blueboy
Forum Member

I forgot to mention that I managed to purchase second hand copies of the two Beachhead Commandos books that were recommended. I've already had them delivered and they're in decent condition. I've just started the first one and I'm looking forward to reading them both.

Blueboy
Forum Member

I'm pleased to say that I have at last found photos of my dad with his name appended in an on-line article about Royal Naval Beach Commando N(Nan).

The website relaysystem.co.uk has much info about RN Commandos. At the very bottom of the section about RNBC Nan there is a link to Exercise Shallufa at HMS Saunders. This link opens up five pages of photos. On the bottom photo of Page 4 my dad, AB Couch, is on the right. The photo above it is mis-captioned and shows him in better detail, again on the right.

In addition, my siblings and I believe him to be in the photo on Page 2. We think the commando behind the officer in the front right of the landing craft is him.

I believe these images were staged during an exercise and used as part of a press release.

The hours and hours of research have paid off and I'd like to thank the administrators and members of this forum for their help in my quest.

I hope it's ok for me to quote another website here and I'll of course understand if the references are removed.

To anyone else researching a relative's military history I would advise applying to the appropriate service records unit and then to just keep digging.

Best of luck.

Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I've thoroughly enjoyed following this. Please let us know of anything else you find. Fascinating!

I've found the website - not the photos mentioned yet - but have started reading about D-Day. Thank you!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/04/2021 08:03:59

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Blueboy
Forum Member

Eileen wrote:I've thoroughly enjoyed following this. Please let us know of anything else you find. Fascinating!

I've found the website - not the photos mentioned yet - but have started reading about D-Day. Thank you!

Thank you Eileen. I think I?m at the end but if anything else shows up I?ll keep you posted.

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger