commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Recommended Books?  XML
Forum Index » Commando Library
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Just ordered mine today...but they are going quick. On speaking to Liz at Dawlish Museum she mentions that Bill Millin is in a local nursing home now after suffering a stroke some while back, however he still manages to get to the museum once a week. I wish him well

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/05/2009 21:53:28

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete,

Does Liz know the address of the nursing home? If we know it might perhaps be an idea for the members of this forum to send Piper Bill a card wishing him well?

Just a thought!

Jack
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Jack

I have the address he is at. I will email you the details rather than put it on the forum. If anyone else wants it just pm me. Bill still gets out and about in his electrically operated chair I am told.

Ps. Geoff has just advised me he will be sending Bill a card from all of us in the CVA

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 17/05/2009 19:00:51

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

quote=Pete
Ps. Geoff has just advised me he will be sending Bill a card from all of us in the CVA

Very good initiative! Well done!
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I am in mail contact with Liz of the Dawlish Museum about the book of Piper Bill Millin. I will spare you all the details but I can just say that the book I ordered and which has been signed by Piper Bill has gone missing in the mail! NOT beacuse Liz has made a mistake, but purely because of the mail system. We are working on tracing it from both sides.

Anyway, Liz sent me a mail saying that, and I quote:

Piper Bill really enjoyed his visit to Normandy where they are going to build a statue to him and they have named the 18th hole on the golf course after him (he is in famous company, the other holes are named after Churchill, Eisenhower, de Gaulle, Montgomery etc.) Unquote.

I thought I'd let you know this wonderfull news!

Jack

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/06/2009 11:21:21

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I would recommend the following book to all interested in the early Commando Raids.
Striking Back by Niall Cherry - Britains Airborne and Commando Raids 1940 - 1942
Published this year the book has a great deal of information including an appendix at the rear conatining official reports on the creation of the Commandos, Operations such as Colossus, Claymore, Archery, Anklet, Biting, Musketoon, and Freshman.
So as far as the early Commando and Parachute Regiment raids it is an excellent resouce for research

Enjoy.

(not to be confused with Striking Back: A Jewish Commando's War against the Nazis by Peter Masters)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/09/2009 11:11:07

[Email]
Smilindude
Forum Member
[Avatar]

A couple of years ago, one of the admin dudes reccommended two books concerning Scissorforce, in which My Grandfather took part... one was Prender's Progress, very illuminating, and the other was the Gubbins book... he is quite the character... incredibly courageous and far seeing, in the context of intel, in the late 30's, that made it clear Hitler, and his people, were not Europe's friends!
Leslie J P Magee, was in 5 Ind.Co.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/05/2016 20:04:56

Sean Nash
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Joe Powell's book - Fall Guy - go get it on Abe Books and ebay.

I'm sorted and would buy the lot but thought I'd best give the rest of you a chance. )

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]

Forum Index » Commando Library
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger