commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
War Graves of Commandos in the UK and elsewhere  XML
Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I didn't have any luck finding out anything about the others unfortunately.

Geoff received photos & an email from Douggie Neish in 2010 in which he said: "The funeral was of one of our colleagues whose life came to a tragic end when he fell from quarters in Kowloon. I am not sure whether it was Mody Road but it was thereabouts. He was buried at Happy Valley Ceremony with full honours."http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/349.page

Does anyone have any idea whose funeral it was? Could it be one of the Commandos from Peter's photos?

Julie

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Julie

I think that is a similar photo of the same funeral tha I have.........mine is from a different angle.

I think it was John Lowman who sent it to me..........and he and Vic Ralph ID'd it for me.

Perhaps their memories were not to sharp.............but they definately said something about 'diving and swimming'

Similar I suppose.........did Geoff get the name of the unforunate soldier?

Regards

john M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi All

Please see new post Cpl Edwards.

Regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The list on Page 1 of this forum message of the graves of Commandos in the UK where we would like photos if possible has been updated. If you can assist let me know by email shown below

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have now added quite a few more names to the list on Page 1. Mainly Cemeteries in England with one or two exceptions. Have a good look down thye list to see if any are near where you or a family member or friend may live and can assist with a photo.

Rather than post any photos on this forum message, can they simply be emailed to me on my email address below.

Can someone post a link to this list on the CVA facebook page so we get a wider coverage and hopefully some photos for our War Graves albums.

Thanks

Pete R.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I've posted the link on the Facebook page.

Julie

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
Jack.S.No1
Forum Member

I have just taken photos of L/C Bowles at Oxford Rose Hill Cemetery and L/C Harold Simpson at Witney. Will send them on. I will be visiting Cardiff Western Cemetery - CSM Harold James Coleman and St Mellons Church - Randall Emerson Connop Price within the next few weeks. Elaine

Elaine -proud daughter of CSM. John (Jack) C H Southworth, M.M. (Sedjenane), No 1 Commando, 4 Troop and 1/5 Commando Burma
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Jack.S.No1 wrote:I have just taken photos of L/C Bowles at Oxford Rose Hill Cemetery and L/C Harold Simpson at Witney. Will send them on. I will be visiting Cardiff Western Cemetery - CSM Harold James Coleman and St Mellons Church - Randall Emerson Connop Price within the next few weeks. Elaine

Thanks Elaine,
I was out and about photographing memorial stones today in Grimsby & Lincoln and had thought to do Oxford & Witney tomorrow but you've saved me a trip...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Than you to Elaine and Nick for volunteering and providing more photos.... We still have quite a few as can be seen on page 1 that are outstanding across mainly England. Just one example is Southampton where there are 7 graves and 1 commemorative panel in the Hollybrook Cemetery and Crematorium, so if there is anyone living in, or near, or with family or friends in Southampton, lets try and get photos so we can place them in our gallery as a tribute. They are all located in Section M12 so will be fairly close together.

update 13/9/12. now only 3 graves left to be photographed at Hollybrook : http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/UK/hollybrook/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/09/2012 21:14:19

[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Elaine,

Claudia and I cycled from Bicester to Oxford Rose Hill Cemetery earlier in the year to photograph LCpl Bowles gravestone and couldn't find it, so well done! It was late and getting dark, that's our excuse.

Regards

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

I will be in the Cotswolds area in a week or so. Any graves around there that still need photographing ?

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Peter

The graves in the UK where we still require a photo are shown in bold black or green. I will double check but I don't think there are any more.

Pete

Ps. Anyone else who may be near, or passing, any of the outstanding cemeteries, please stop and spend a little time to visit the grave. All we ask, if not already in the gallery, is a good clear photo of any grave you visit.

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete wrote:Anyone else who may be near, or passing, any of the outstanding cemeteries, please stop and spend a little time to visit the grave. All we ask, if not already in the gallery, is a good clear photo of any grave you visit.

The CWGC graves in England & Wales are quite distinctive and can be readily identified from a fair distance in a cemetery. They have uniform headstones, differentiated only by their inscriptions: the national emblem or regimental badge, rank, name, unit, date of death and age of each casualty inscribed above an appropriate religious symbol and a more personal dedication chosen by relatives.

The stones are a very pale Portland stone:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/UK/J+Fleming+No+5+Cdo.jpg.html

The CWGC graves in Scotland are similar but usually made from granite:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/UK/glen+nevis/Turner.jpg.html

nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks Nick. In addition if you are going out of the UK and wish to know if there are any Commonwealth War Grave Cemeteries nearby where Commandos are buried, send me an email with your location and I will let you know

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

List now updated with all the graves in the UK from lists supplied to us by the CWGC

[Email]

Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger