commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
'Scorched Earth, Black Snow:' 41 Commando in North Korea  XML
Forum Index » Commando Library
Andy_S
Forum Member

Gents:

At risk of being a self-publicist (Mods, feel free to delete if that is the case): My new book "Scorched Earth, Black Snow: Britain and Australia in the Korean War, 1950" is out as of this week.

It covers 27th Comonwealth Brigade in the defense of South Korea and the invasion of North Korea, and the terrible winter retreat when China struck.

It also covers 41 Cdo's raids - 230 miles behind enemy lines.

The climax of the book features 41's actions at Chosin Reservoir: In my opinion, the most harrowing battle fought by UK or US troops in modern history.

I hope that members of this forum may find it of interest. Although the Korean War is largely unknown today, it remains the biggest, the bloodiest and most brutal war fought by British troops since WWII.

The biggest? This was a war of advances and retreats of hundreds of miles, facing the army of the most populous state on earth: Red China/

The bloodiest? More Britons were KIA in three intense years in Korea than in the Falklands, Iraq and Afghan (to date) conflicts combined.

The most brutal? Korea featured the only invastion of a communist state by Free World forces during the Cold War. It was fought with terrific savagery on both sides - and examples of this are included in the book.

The book took just over two years to research and write. The story unfolds in the words of some 90 interviewees. FYI, I paste a couple of commando-related excerpts below.

Best wishes -
Andrew Salmon
Seoul
Author, "To the Last Round" and "Scorched Earth, Black Snow"

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Andy

I have moved your advert about your book to the Commando Library forum and have removed the extracts you posted. Ideally it would have been better to have sent a message to one of those listed in the 'Contact Us' section of the home page menu to seek permission to place an advert for a commercial product. I am aware that you have corresponded before on the forum whilst researching your book, and because you said

At risk of being a self-publicist (Mods, feel free to delete if that is the case)

which made me smile, I have left the first half of your posting on here. It says it all anyway.

Good luck with the book

pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Andy_S
Forum Member

Pete:

Thanks for your forbearance.

The policy is fair enough - but when it comes to mil. hist. publicity, if you are not Max Hastings or Anthony Beevor, you have to do most of it yourself! I will post a few extracts and photos on my own website, hopefully over this weekend.

Cheers again.

Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Andy Your book To The Last Round was the best book I read in 2009...Yor new one is already on my Must have list

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I tried to get the book on my Kindle but no luck. Oh well bought the hard back instead. My kind of reading ! Quite shocking to see the frozen dead USMarines and RM Commandos laid out. Korea was a horrible war

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

im half way through the book and it really is something .Excellent references to 41 Commando ,commando training and raids behind Korean lines .It was a really brutal war with no quarter given most of the time. The nalpalming of the Argylls was horrifying and something i didnt know about.A book you must read

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

This has to be the best book of the year.Fascinating to read about 41Commando fighting alongside 1st US Marines, the different tactics and the great respect for each other. The fighting at Chosin was terriflying to read with waves of Chinese pouring down on them .It was due to the discipline and sheer guts of 41 and the US Marines that saw them through.41 Commando were awarded a US Presidental Unit Citation for its herosim at Chosin with Whitehall only grudgingly accepting the award. The PUC was attached to the colour of the Commando(disbanded in 1952)Individual men were not allowed to wear the flash but many did in defiance.An Excellent book

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Just one of those courageous Commandos in Korea :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/laterday/RM+Commandos/Aldrdge+MC.jpg.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Commando Library
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger