commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Inverailort House, Lochailort  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Training Establishments
garyburton
Forum Member

Gentlemen,

Forgive lack of all communication in recent months and years - I have been very busy renovating my own house in Lochailort and happy to say we are now up and running as a luxury Bed and Breakfast.

You may recall my story - that I grew up here in Lochailort as a child and worked at Inverailort Castle during weekends and school holidays. Having left home and joined the Royal Navy at 16 I have been absent from Lochailort for over 30 years.

In relation to Inverailort House / Castle, I am sad to report that it continues to deteriorate at a fairly rapid pace. Joe - who previously posted here, along with Venture Trust, are no longer interested or able to move things forward. I am in fairly regular contact with the owners - the MacLaren family and I feel from discussions with them that the only way forward would be for a private purchase to be made. I know that Mr MacLaren would be interested in offers to purchase the building as there is no money in the family pot to do anything with it.

It would now take some considerable amount of money, time, devotion, patience and passion to save this historic monument from it's current inevitable demise. Having said that - it is not beyond hope. I feel if there were sufficient private or interested organisations / parties then a lottery application may well be the way forward.

I would welcome thoughts from any interested people with a view to forming a committee to try and resurrect this beautiful and historic building, or with anyone interested in putting forward funds to make a private purchase.

Many thanks
Gary Burton
01687 470 222
E-Mail [email protected]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Chance for Change are supporting an initiative to help restore Inverailort House.

Jack Bakker has sent this link to a really nice video that they have made and added to their website.

As Jack says - it really makes you want to be there.

Here is a link to the latest version of the video:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4e_cIFMkaw7Y3RuOG1obnVQMXc/edit?usp=sharing

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
mike beckett
Forum Member

Geoff
Thanks for posting this - the scenery is as spectacular as ever. It is a shame more of the history could not be communicated as it is such a special place - That said, the initiative is fantastic, time for any video clip would probably be too short and job creation is to be applauded. Any plans to assist those requiring respite/convalescence must also be encouraged. Lets hope it succeeds.
Mike
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

What a fine video!!

I can imagine F&S tumbling down the stairs.........the place has many ghosts .......and it is important it is saved.

good luck to the project

regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

garyburton
Forum Member

Yes - a very good and well composed video. Of course there could always be more, but I think it's as good a starting point as any and I do hope the outcome will be positive. I have been contacted by C4C with regards to this and can only say that all concerned and interested parties need to spread the word as far and as wide as we can in the hope that the money will come..
mike beckett
Forum Member

With television programmes such as 'Restoration Home' there is a public interest in this sort of thing - it would give the TV historians something to really get their teeth stuck in to, no doubt CVA and others would assist with information too. A great opportunity!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restoration_Home_(TV_series)

There are problems with this link (hence the edits) Click above, then click the italic "search for Restoration Home TV Series" in inverted commas, then click the dark blue heading Restoration Home TV Series

Contrary to remoteness of the location chosen for STC Lochailort in WW2 the news now does need to be spread.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 19/03/2013 11:51:15

Malcolm King
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My late father John King Army No 3249164 enlisted with the Cameronians in 1940 and his service records show he joined No. 6 Commando 05/03/1941. I am trying to find our where he was trained as a Commando and have not been able to trace his record at Achnacahray. Is there somewhere else I could look?
He was based in U.K. Fo 2 years and 61 days then posted overseas to Burma (1942) with RZGHA and joined No 142 Brigade in the same year. He was in the Burma region and India till Sept 1945. 3 years 179 days. I have had great assistance from Stephen Fogden who administrates the Chindit website and he is very knowledgable on the use of Commandos in Burma. Also Liam Brady , who is researching his grandfathers activities with No 6 Commando, and was able to relate to the formation of No 142 Commando Company by Orde Wingate from the RZGHA Commandos sent to Jubbulpore May 1942.
He was a Member of the Old Comrades Association of the Army Commandos (Membership No. 4964)
If anyone who reads this can point me in the direction to allow me to find out where he was trained, it would be appreciated. Malcolm King, email me at the following [email protected].

I now know that he was posted to 5th Battalion Special Services march 1941, from no 6 Commando, then to Draft RZGHA march 1942 posted to India and attached 2nd Battalion Green Howards at Jibblulpore May 1942 the posted to 142 Commando 77 Bridgade June 1942 and the formation of Chindits under Maj. Ore Windgate and Maj. Mike Calvert
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Malcolm

We have a Pte J. King on our Nominal Roll for No 6 Commando. I should point out though that he may never have done any training at Achnacarry which only became the centre for all Commando training in the early months of 1942. Prior to that Commando Units did a lot of their own training. Additionally whilst some went during that period to STC Lochailort not all did.

To give an insight into those early Commandos and their training from July 1940 until Feb/March 1942, and then onwards, have a read of our training section. His service record may state other training centres such as RTC, CTC or STC:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/CommandoTraining

The Operation Longcloth website is an excellent resource. You may also be interested in this forum post:

http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/4742.page

A trip to the National Archives to read the War Diary for No 6 Commando in those early days may be very useful. See our research documents for details about the NA: http://www.commandoveterans.org/ResearchAdvice

Finally if you have a photo of your father in uniform please post it, with a few details about him, so as we can add it to our No 6 Commando gallery. You can either register on the gallery (completely separate to forum registration) and post it yourself into our Holding Album, or add it here as an attachment. Any problems let me know.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
katycameron
Forum Member

Good afternoon everyone,

My name is Caitlin Cameron. I am a paramedic and my husband is a doctor. Having seen Inverailort House already from the outside, we are looking to get in touch with anyone who has the contact details of the owners as we have a view to buy.

If anyone could get back to us with any information we would be very grateful. Thank you.

Caitlin Cameron and Dr Robert Embry
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Caitlin

Mike has been in touch and I have given him the contact number for you. Thanks Paul for doing that.

Bill

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/10/2020 11:12:53

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Caitlin

I have sent you a PM with contact details.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
mike beckett
Forum Member

Bill - Many thanks - sorry not to have been able to PM Caitlin - my internet security (Bitdefender) kicked me out of the forum for some reason. Hopefully I have sorted it now. Regards, and Good health - Mike
garyburton
Forum Member

Caitlin,

Still living in Lochailort - less than 5 mins drive from Inverailort House. Pass it almost on a daily basis at the moment and seeing it depreciate further into a ruinous state is heartwrenching.

My contact details are in a previous post on here and I am here to help if I can or anyone needs it. Also close friends with Paul MacDonald - another local to the area who is on this forum.

Best regards,

Gary Burton
katycameron
Forum Member

Hello again,

I just wanted to thank everyone for their support. It is truly wonderful to see so many kind and passionate people.

I wondered if I could pick your brains a little before I contact the owner directly.

From what I have read, the house has been empty for at least the past 10 years. My questions are, have there been any movements with concern to the house in the last 10 years or has it just stayed the same? In addition, I noticed when I was last there that the grounds at the front of the house were mowed perfectly. Is this land still attached to the house or is it owned separately?

Once again, thank you for your support.

Caitlin and Robert
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Your last questions really are not for a public forum about Commandos. You have made some contacts now so further questions should be addressed by making use of the private message (pm) facility here, or by email. The Owners, and the Land Registry Scotland, and the engagement of Solicitors are the place to make enquiries as to land ownership and address any other questions you may have.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Training Establishments
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger