commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Durrant Day April 1 2011  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

What a fantastic day at Green St Green School for the celebration of a former pupil Tom Durrant VC No1 Commando.

A full report will follow as will more photos.........but here's just a couple I took.

Everyone should be congratulated on a fine day but of special mention should be Sharon Bond of GSG school Harry Winch No 1 Cdo for having the initial idea and the drive to make it happen. Ron Laine for his wonderful presentation piece to the school pictured.Sylvie for her tireless work on the event.

It really was United We Conquer.

Best regards

John M
[Thumb - IMG_8100.JPG]
 Filename IMG_8100.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Ron Laine Harry Winch and two present day commandos and the wonderful presentation piece.
 Filesize 1493 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  357 time(s)

[Thumb - IMG_8105.JPG]
 Filename IMG_8105.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Harry Winch ,his lovely wife Pam, Eric Buckmaster No2 Commando and Bev Laine take a break.
 Filesize 2170 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  368 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 04/04/2011 19:37:19

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi John

Great presentation display by Ron. I have just heard back from Eric Buckmaster. Here is some of what he said in his email to me:

Peter, In case you have not yet heard, the Event at the Primary School was a Tremendous success yesterday. I will write it up in detail, and send you a hard copy of the Programme. The Teachers and the Children had put in a lot of effort. With their War Time Dresses etc.
It went on from 11.0 am through till 4 O'clock, including a War Time Lunch, served by the Children. Their ages were from 5 yrs up to 11 yrs. They all seemed so Adult and enthusiastic. It was hard to refuse their offer of Food. I must have had about 10 pieces of " Bread Pudding "
and copius Cups of Tea.
We were Interviewd, Video'd, and Photographed, and they were so serious about it all.
Regards for Now, Eric

I have created an album in the CVA Events gallery for yours and all the other photos that come in, and will transfer any from here to that album:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/events/durrant/

Pete

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 04/04/2011 14:51:32

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks John and Eric. Looking forward to more photos and reports on what seems to have been a wonderful day.

- Janet
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have just received an email from Sylvie Townshend regarding the event with a link to the photos taken by a local reporter. I have included some sections of her email below :

Green street Green went great. The children were perfect all dressed up in refugee outfits (as you will see), the teachers dressed up, etc. The atmosphere brilliant. I spoke to Desiree yesterday and she said she wouldn't have missed it for the world. Geoff Murray said it was the best event ever. Jim Dorrian was great. I did thank him for coming but I don't think he knew who I was so can you thank him again for me. The members of the Durrant family really enjoyed themselves as well and looked so proud. Everyone gasped at the big framed oiled painting with miniature medals etc when it was unveiled and presented to the school. I will send photo's that we had taken with the veterans in the classrooms. They were also interviewed by the 6th formers. Very professional. Eric Buckmaster was delighted in just about everything going on. He was like the pied piper - he had children following him everywhere as did the rest of the veterans.

The link to the photos which are copyrighted is here:

http://www.akphotos.co.uk/Slideshows/Green%20St%20Green%20School/Green%20St%20Green%20School/index.html

Pete

Update by Pete : The above link to the watermarked photos has been removed by the photo studio.

This message was edited 12 times. Last update was at 07/04/2011 17:00:51

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

wow what wonderful photos what a great bunch of kids ,This is what its all about!

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Stephen ...Sylvie is sending me a disc with what she describes as excellent photos taken at the event. Should arrive next week sometime so will load them into the gallery in due course. (No watermark on those :))

Pete

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/04/2011 20:25:27

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Eric Buckmaster( No.2 Cdo.) has now sent me a copy of a letter to his daughter (who is herself a head teacher of a primary school) regarding the days events. With his permission I have quoted some of what he said below so that readers can get a feel of what it was like on the day;

Sergeant Thomas Durrant, (VC), went to Green Street Green School, when it was the local Elementary School, and he would have been there until he left at the age of 14 to start Work, like we all did in those days.

The School is now a Primary School, ages from 5 to 11, but they took on the idea with enthusiasm, and put on a lovely Day. The Teachers and Children had all dressed up in the Style of 1939 to 1945. With Hair Scarves, Pinafores, Flat Caps etc. One or two had ATS type Uniforms.

The Children had made themselves the little cardboard ?Gasmask Boxes? with a String attached just as they were then. They were wearing Evacuation Labels with their names on and had made Identity Cards. Some Parents had found them copies of Ration Books.

There are some 400 Boys & Girls at the School, and the classes had a Teacher and Teaching Assistants who all worked together very well. They had a Lovely Orchestra, violins, cellos, trumpets flutes, piccolos, piano & organ etc. They played ?Land of Hope & Glory, God Save the Queen, Hymn?s and Wartime Songs, and sang along with the Music.

The enthusiasm of the Lady Teacher who conducted the Orchestra & Singing was very evident, and the children seemed to love her. She had it all under control.

We were given a War Time Lunch of Sandwiches, Rock Cakes, and various types of other Home made cake. It was very difficult to refuse the food when the Children offered it. I must have had about 10 pieces of Bread Pudding, and tea and coffee continuously.

There were about 20 of us there from the Commando Association, plus members of the Local British Legion, with 2 Standard Bearers, so we had a Service with 2 Padres leading it and the Orchestra for the Hymns.

The Children were detailed off in Groups of 3 to take us individually on a Tour of the School. Each class interviewed us, they took turns to ask their questions, and were so serious about it all. They explained in each Class room what they did, they showed me and demonstrated their ?Smart Board?, also the Individual Plastic Boards on which they can write with a Marker and Rub it off again.

Part way through I was asked to go to be Interviewed & Video?d just as though we were on TV. One 11 year old Girl solemnly explained to me what would happen. They had 2 mounted Video cameras with a team managing each, and one Boy was directing. The young Lady interviewing me took me through such a range of questions. About Evacuation, the Black Out, Peoples feelings, War time food, being in the Army, the War and so on. They had obviously given a lot of thought to it, with variations on each theme.

There were several little Playground events to help entertain us. Above all, the Children?s behaviour and excitement and enthusiasm was infectious. They were so adult & courteous.

When I arrived at the Street where the School is, and was putting on my Beret and Blazer, people in the Street obviously knew what was afoot, and said ? Hope You have a Nice Time at School To-day ?.

To finish off the Day, the Commando Veterans Association awarded 2 Certificates of Merit to the Boy & Girl who had shown the most promise and effort during the Past Year.

Pete

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 06/04/2011 13:14:51

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have just uploaded some more excellent photos taken by Dick Goodwin on the day. They can be seen, along with others, on this link to our CVA Events album:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/events/durrant/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/05/2011 15:21:21

[Email]
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I'm extremely proud that my late father served alongside such gallant men such as Tom during his time with no1 Commando. Many thanks to Andy Maines for posting Roy Shadbolt's photo of Officers- WO1s & Sgts No1 Commando, that linked Tom and dad.

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger