commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
War Time Commando Raids Document 1/2/3  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi All
During my research into WW2 Commandos I was very fortunate to have correspondence for a couple of years with Henry Brown OBE former Gen Secretary of the old Commando Association. Henry knew my father from No1Cdo.
Henry sent me this document recording commando raids of WW2 ......there are 5 pages in all....I think they may be quite useful for our research. It is marked 'Restricted'

I of course have no idea how accurate they are but feel that Henry was a good source so I think they are fairly complete.
I am having the sheets retyped for clarity and will upload when they are to hand.

Regards
JohnM
[Thumb - IMG_8077.JPG]
 Filename IMG_8077.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Sheet 2
 Filesize 2923 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  526 time(s)

[Thumb - IMG_8076.JPG]
 Filename IMG_8076.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Sheet 1
 Filesize 2929 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  535 time(s)

[Thumb - IMG_8078.JPG]
 Filename IMG_8078.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 2779 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  551 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 03/01/2011 19:09:10

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi John

I have resized and posted the 5 pages in the gallery. They are quite legible. As if by magic your thumb has also disappeared !

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/documents/raids/

Pete

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 03/01/2011 21:44:28

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Thanks Pete.

Great job.........

Happy New Year

john M

Primus Inter Pares

John Martin
Forum Member

Given the source of all this information, I should think that it must be correct.

For instance, very little seems to have been written in books relating to Commando operations about the raid on Elizabeth Island in Combermere Bay off the Arakan coast of Burma on the night of 3rd/4th November 1944, but it is clearly identified in the documents.

COPP 8 carried out beach reconnaissance over the nights of 16th/19th October, with one member of the team going missing. The purpose of the raid was to gain information about Japanese troop strengths on the island, and about the missing officer. The ultimate plan was for 3 Commando Brigade to capture the island - then about 100 miles inside enemy lines - and from there disrupt Japanese supply lines on the mainland.

The raiding party comprised a section of 1 Troop, 42 Commando together with a number of officers and two members of COPP 8. Suprisingly, one of the officers was Colonel (later Brigadier) Peter Young DSO MC** who at the time was deputy commander of 3 Commando Brigade. His would have been a tremendous scalp if captured. They were transported from Teknaf on ML 380 and ML 382 with an LCP in tow for the landing. Sadly, the raid was largely unsuccessful and the plan to capture Elizabeth Island was later dropped.

My knowledge of the raid resulted from (initially separate) friendships with Captain (later Major) Alec Colson MBE of COPP 8 who took part in both the beach reconnaissance and the raid, and Corpral Aubrey Chappell of 1 Troop, 42 Commando. Alec was recommended for an MC but this was downgraded to a mention in despatches. Aubrey was awarded an MM, the lengthy citation being written by Colonel Young himself.

Unfortunately, following a firefight and playing a rearguard role as the party withdrew on the LCP, Aubrey was left behind on Elizabeth Island. For ten days, in appalling weather conditions and without food, he evaded capture. During that time he counted troop numbers, made several attempts to swim from the island and also caused as much nuisance as possible. He was held as a prisoner in Rangoon Jail where he was very badly treated.

Almost sixty-two years later, I was able to reintroduce Alec to Aubrey over what can only be described as a very emotion-charged lunch. They remained firm friends until Alec's death. Aubrey died a little later.
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi John

Thanks for your input and the story you tell is very interesting and worth reading.

I have faith in Henry Brown of course but sometimes little errors may be discovered...but nontheless I think the documents are a great resource...Henry was a very generous and most helpful man.

Thanks again for your response.

Kind regards

John M

Primus Inter Pares

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger