commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
RSM Harry Beesley 3 Commando Heroic Story  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi All
William Paterson is RSM Harry Beesleys nephew and he has sent this in via email to clarify the circumstances in which RSM Beesley lost his life.

Another Commando Hero. We will remember them.

John M

We are very grateful thanks William.

Dear Sir
I have just found your website on the net (Wonderful) and have found a picture of my Uncle RSM Harold Beesley, 3 Commando. The notes accompanying the picture state that he died a POW, can I give some information which clears up his death.
An excellent book was published in the UK by CORONET books called in the UK ?The Dieppe Raid? and in Canada ?Forgotten Heroes? written by John Mellor. This book relates the story of Harry Beesleys capture and imprisonment, since he was captured at Dieppe with the Canadian forces he stayed with the Canadians throughout this time in POW camps. A few excerpts give a clue to his character ?The water had been cut off in the Canadian compound, and only a little was allowed for drinking. One bitter morning the entire compound and German guards were amazed to see RSM Beesley march smartly across the parade ground, halt at a puddle of freezing water, strip to the waist, wash and shave, redress, wrap his towel around his neck and march back to the barracks. This was not to show his toughness but to raise morale and show contempt for his captors. The water was turned back on shortly afterwards?. There are lots of similar anecdotes, too many for this email.
As the Russians neared Stalug V111B the main body of the Dieppe prisoners were sent on a death march through blizzards and frost until they reached Stargard, Stalug 11D, Harry Beesley did not survive. At the time of writing, some Canadians said he was shot by the Russians for demanding food, but a few years ago, my Aunt, Harrys widow received a letter from Mr Ivor Dunstan stating ?from Stalug 11D, Harry was moved to camp BAB21 at Blechammer in upper Silesia. There on Christmas Day 1944 Harry and Ivor Dunstan managed to escape and made there way to Cracow, Poland. There the Russians made plans for them to go to Odessa and passage to England. Early in February 1945 they were loaded onto an ancient train with hundreds of freed prisoners, crowded 30 to a carriage, although there was a pot bellied stove for heat there was no fuel for it. The journey was supposed to take 5 days, but it stretched to 10 and the train was not many miles from the start, desperate for heat, Harry led the prisoners to repeated raids to coal dumps. During one of these raids, two of the train coaches became uncoupled and started to roll back down a steep incline, Harry immediately ran after the coaches and attempted to apply the brake fitted to each side of the coaches. As the coaches slowed they ?jumped? tracks trapping Harry underneath. The two coaches were packed with French Slave workers, many of whom would have been killed if Harry had not applied the brakes. Harry Beesley died as he had lived, helping others?. He is buried in grave 4 B 5 Cracow Rakowicki Cemetry, Poland.
I though this information should be available to visitors to your website, Harry?s widow dies earlier this year aged 99, and I seen to be the last keeper of this knowledge.
Yours faithfully
William Paterson.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 05/04/2013 18:17:35

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have now updated the details on the entry in our No.3 Commando 'In Remembrance' album for RSM Harold Beesley to include the letter and information from his nephew William Paterson.
The No.3 Commando 'In Remembrance' album is on this link:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/3+cdo+fallen/

We will remember them

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/02/2012 19:42:44

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

A remarkable story about a remarkable man.
Many thanks to Harry's nephew, William Paterson for sharing this with us.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger