commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Composition of No 4 Commando on D-Day and at the flushing operations  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
casalboss01
Forum Member

Hi,

I am looking for listings of the No 4 Commando composition for the D-Day operations and after that for the Flushing operations. I would like to have the names and the troops where they were in.

I still have it for troop 1 and 8 for D-Day because it were the french troops.

Thanks a lot,

Casalboss01
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Daniel

I don't know where you are located UK or Europe ?

But Have you looked at the 4 Cdo war Diaries in the National Archives at Kew?

I have viewed them and they are very thorough. I think you will answer most of your questions there.

Also the National Army Museum have got a 4 Cdo archive which I have also viewed and again there are lists of troops numbers names etc. They even have Lovats D'Day map there.

If only other units had been so meticulous as Lovats :)

Regards
John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

casalboss01
Forum Member

Hi I am located in Luxembourg, and I am looking for these information because there were 5 Luxemburgers in no 4 Commando.

Unfortunately I am not able to get to kew, that is why I asked in the forum if anyone could help me.

But thank you very much for your information.

Casalboss01
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Daniel

I think you speak French. But i continue ( try ) in English.
You know than the Luxemburgers Commandos were in the 10 IA commando. In April 44, attached to 4 cdo, Like REIFFERS ( i think you know him ).
So, on the big photo of 4 cdo taken in winchester April 43. This is only British.
The big photo is rare, and not easy to do a copy. I have the original and one copy ( expensive to do ).
I live in Normandy, near BAYEUX since 4 years. But came from a small village near DIEPPE.

Stéphane
casalboss01
Forum Member

Hi Steph,

I speak french :-)

Thanks for the information, I know that they were befor in no 10 IA COmmando. But I try to get the picture, to try to identify, another Luxemburger Pierre LAUX which was in No 4 COmmando before 1943, and that should be on this picture.

Thanks

Daniel

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

casalboss01 wrote:Hi Steph,

I speak french :-)

Thanks for the information, I know that they were befor in no 10 IA COmmando. But I try to get the picture, to try to identify, another Luxemburger Pierre LAUX which was in No 4 COmmando before 1943, and that should be on this picture.

Thanks

Daniel

http://www.specialforcesroh.com/browse.php?mode=viewiroll&rollid=1048

Hi Daniel,
Welcome to the CVA Forum.
Try this link - there may be information there that you can use...
Bon Chance,

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Daniel

It is quite clear from the No4 Roll of Honour from Flushing that Pierre Laux was with No4 and not with the French troops. The 1st Bataillon de Fusiliers Marins Commandos dead are listed seperatly.

Bill.

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Daniel

I have the No4 photo but it is in a frame and would be difficult to copy. I doubt if you could pick anyone out of the photo as there are that many men in it.

As a general comment can any of the new comrades who are down at Kew research for Daniel.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
casalboss01
Forum Member

Thanks for the information Bill

But I would like to have the picture, on the one I have seen in Normandy, the picture was clear.

I know that Laux was in cdo no 4, but I do not know in which troop he was during D-Day.

That is why I wanted to have a list of the troop compositions for the operations. Thanks a lot

Daniel
Uncle Beach
Forum Member

Hi Daniel,
In the museum in Diekirch are a couple of pictures of the Luxemburgers who served with No4 Commando.
Pierre Laux came from the Devonshire Regiment and served with A-troop.
Jean and Antoine Neven (both from Diekirch), Félix Peters and Reiffers
were with the french FM Commando.
Kind regards
Ron

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger