commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Reason for a redacted Soldiers Service & Paybook (John Willis-Jones, No.1 Commando)  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
mekz48
Forum Member

Grandmother - Barbara Rees - ATS
[Thumb - Barbara Discharge.jpg]
 Filename Barbara Discharge.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Barbara Discharge Paper
 Filesize 326 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  425 time(s)

[Thumb - Barbara Rees - Bottom Row 2nd from left.jpg]
 Filename Barbara Rees - Bottom Row 2nd from left.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Barbara Bottom Row 2nd from left
 Filesize 204 Kbytes

[Thumb - Barbara Rees.jpg]
 Filename Barbara Rees.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 312 Kbytes

mekz48
Forum Member

John Willis Jones in Civilian clothing
[Thumb - John Willis Jones Pic.jpg]
 Filename John Willis Jones Pic.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 168 Kbytes

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Trent

I have now added a selection of the photos you posted to our gallery and they can be viewed here:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/Willis-Jones/

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
mekz48
Forum Member

That's great Pete thank you so much!!
I am trying to find out the connection of my grandfather to William E Fairbairn as it seems they spent time together at Fort William before he was sent over to Achnacarry Training Depot, any tips on where to look in regards to the Fairbairn and Fort William time frame?

Pete wrote:Hi Trent

I have now added a selection of the photos you posted to our gallery and they can be viewed here:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/Willis-Jones/
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Your grandfather may have attended STC Lochailort in the early days of the Army Commandos. A brief timeline of that period can be found here. Two very good books about Commando training in WW2 are referred to in the sources shown at the bottom of the page on this link:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/EarlyCommandoTraining

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
mekz48
Forum Member

Hi Pete, a few more things we managed to find!

P.S - He actually passed away on the 29/12/1977 and not the 27th, is it possible to amend this, apologies, that was my mistake.

Please see attached for some medals we managed to locate, and do you happen to know if its possible to officially obtain replacement ribbons?
[Thumb - IMG_3363.jpg]
 Filename IMG_3363.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Sgt. John W Jones Medals
 Filesize 154 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  421 time(s)

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello mekz48

You should be able purchase replacement medal ribbons from Military Collectors fairs and also online suppliers.

Just make sure they are FULL SIZE ribbons and not miniature medal ribbons.

Good luck
Regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

AB64
Forum Member

Blanking out or cutting out of the parents nationality and the soldiers place of birth wasn't related to raids or anything it was an army wide order from 1942 - Army Council Instruction 1770 - this instructed that these details were no longer to be entered and going forward if a soldier was going overseas and had these details already filled in they were to be "obliterated". I have seen it suggested that this was due to the increasing number of Germans, Austrians, French etc serving in British units, not sure if thats correct or it was just considered unnecessary to include it.

Alistair
mekz48
Forum Member

AB64 wrote:Blanking out or cutting out of the parents nationality and the soldiers place of birth wasn't related to raids or anything it was an army wide order from 1942 - Army Council Instruction 1770 - this instructed that these details were no longer to be entered and going forward if a soldier was going overseas and had these details already filled in they were to be "obliterated". I have seen it suggested that this was due to the increasing number of Germans, Austrians, French etc serving in British units, not sure if thats correct or it was just considered unnecessary to include it.

Alistair

Just saw this reply, thank you for that information :)

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger