commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Police Intakes  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Two more:

Sam Hooper and Bill Everett both policemen from Cardiff, served in No3 Cdo.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Fred Manning, No.5 Commando, was a Policeman in West Malling, Kent, before joining the Commandos at Achnacarry on 15/10/ 1942 on the 3rd Police Intake. He served with No.5 in India and after the war he rejoined the Police. Fred can be seen in this photo:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/Fred+Manning+5+Cdo+3rd+police+intake.jpg.html

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 08/01/2013 23:55:26

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
mike beckett
Forum Member

Further to the above - I attempt to link another relevant thread - It relates to L/Cpl - Later Lt (I think) EAG Cant No2 Cdo 4 Tp. The thread relates to postings by his son (Mike Saling) on this Forum. I would refer you in particular to the posting Mike made on 23 Dec 2012

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/3747.page

It would appear that EAG Cant was another who entered Commando Service through a Police Intake.

Regards
Mike
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

A few more names from No5 Cdo:

Charles Pocock
Dick Shepperd (may be John R Shepherd)
Fred Palmer

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

W Meddings 4 Cdo from the former Lincoln Branch was also a Police Intake

Regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Thanks to all who have helped with names and details of those who joined the Commando's from the various police forces.

Have just finished reading The Raiders by Robin Neillands, I believe have found a further 3 names :

1) Ron Roberts 1Cdo from London police.
2) John Tanner , CPL ,9 Cdo from City of London police.
3) S. Burden, Fusilier, 1Cdo, police force unknown.

To date with your help I have 40 names,nearly 10% of the 400 or so of the total,so there are more than a few lurking between the pages of history.

Thanks again,
Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
mike beckett
Forum Member

Hello Graham
I (like others I am sure) will continue to keep my eyes open. - You have done well to get 40 names - what is your intention? Do you think you will publish results on this CVA Site?
Regards and good luck
Mike Beckett
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

It is my intention to try and get further names, - I've a few more books to trawl through.

When I first made the request about the police intakes,I never realized how frustrating it is to get information on the commando/s.

I have contacted several police authorities to see if they could help - but alas no names, same with various regimental museums

and associations again helpful but no names.

Over 400 men and no one really knows who they are / were , what a shame.

Once I have finished the last few books,I'll put the names up for all,in the next week or two.

Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Graham,
GrahamCooper wrote:

When I first made the request about the police intakes,I never realized how frustrating it is to get information on the commando/s.

Tell me about it...
As you are probably aware, there is no definative Roll of Names of those that served in the Commandos during WWII, so it has become one of our missions to compile a Nominal Roll for each Commando...

It is a long painsaking task and I'm afraid that there will be omissions but they all deserve to be remembered so we will persevere.
I'm afraid that whilst gathering names and before you made your initial request, I may have overlooked the fact that some might have been Police Intakes, but I will continue to make notes of any I come across in the future.

We Will Remember Them.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
mike beckett
Forum Member

Any initiative to compile Nominal Rolls is fraught with difficulty - many (perhaps most) War Diaries lack summaries etc and, as you say, it is a case of jotting down findings as you come across them. We know this can lead to 'double counting etc', and a bit like genealogists we have to look for collaborating evidence, but it is good that the CVA - and this site - acts as an archive for such records and that in that way discussion remains ongoing. Hopefully the database will grow and grow over years to come as a fitting tribute.
Regards
Mike
mikeysaling
Forum Member
[Avatar]

GrahamCooper wrote:It is my intention to try and get further names, - I've a few more books to trawl through.

I have contacted several police authorities to see if they could help - but alas no names, same with various regimental museums

and associations again helpful but no names.

Over 400 men and no one really knows who they are / were , what a shame.

Once I have finished the last few books,I'll put the names up for all,in the next week or two.

Graham

Graham - have you tried essex police yet - they have a good museum and access to a lot of essex archives. I have an ongoing enquiry with them about dads service in the river police - I'll ask if they can find anything intheir records. Often finding this info is a matter of putting in the right keywords to the computer archive - I'll ask them how they documented my dads transfer to the commandos.

?Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.?
― Albert Camus
John Martin
Forum Member

My late uncle, Sgt Donald Martin, mentioned a Commando whom he met at OCTU named Howrd Naylor, who had been a member of the Essex Police Force. I do not know in which Commando he served, but it was obviously not 4 commando in which my uncle served.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

A few more of interest :

Corporal Loasby was in the 1st Police Intake and went to 2 SBS. He was taken prisoner at Pantellaria whilst doing a beach recce.

Private Massey was in the 2nd Police Intake and went to 2 SBS. He trained with them for a short period but transeferred to SIB

Corporal Roberts, a Parachutist and ex Policeman, went to 2 SBS, took part in the Sark Raid in Dec 1943

Private (ex Cpl) Wright was in the 1st Police Intake and went to 2 SBS and took part in operations at Oran. Later was in the Admin staff at SBS HQ.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
mikeysaling
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Graham,

I had a response to my search for my fathers river police search with essex police museum but alas no luck finding other commando's from Essex - response

Our records are not formed in such a way that I could search for any others. Your father, apparently, was commissioned in 1944.

There is one surviving member of the original Essex police laumch 'Vigilant' and I will try to contact him - he may recall any other possible commando recruits from Essex - I'll keep you posted.

?Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.?
― Albert Camus
Ash Smart
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Graham (and everyone on the forum, my first proper day on here)

My Grandpa, Albert Kenneth Smart, served in the Police (Leicestershire) before joining up in 1942 - 9 Commando. Service number: 14241644

In the following weeks I'm hoping to research more about my Grandpa's time with 9 Commando as we know little about it (he passed away in the 1980s) and I was a bit too young at the time to ask questions and he didn't really talk about it. I have a copy of his service record which is rather patchy and slightly contradictory but hopefully I can find out more being on this forum! Photos to follow too.

Best regards to you all

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/01/2013 02:36:25

Ash Smart
United We Conquer

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger