commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
2nd Special Service Detachment (SSD2)  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
alanlw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Kevin wrote:Was SSD2 part of 204 who received the "every man for himself order"?
I'm sure that dad came out with SSD2 after a few months hard treck through the jungle.
Kevin

Not sure about the "every man for himself order". Who was dad? I have a copy of TNA's WO 361/185 which has witness statements about the evacuation with Brocklehurst. It lists most men who escaped at the time.

There are also two books on the subject. John Friend's "Long Trek", published in the 50s. Friend was one of Brocklehurst's NCOs in the retreat. However, names have been changed.

Also Pete Goode's father's account of the same journey is being published next month. It's called "No Surrender in Burma" by Fred Goode. I have my copy on order. Goode was taken prisoner along with a few others from SSD2.

Alan

Alan
aim icon
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Good news about Peter's book - I look forward to reading it.

Kevin's dad was WO Andrew O'Marah. http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/OMarah/

nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
alanlw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

NIC wrote:

Kevin's dad was WO Andrew O'Marah. http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/OMarah/

nick

Not a name I recognise from SSD2 I'm afraid.

Alan

Alan
aim icon
Steve R
Forum Member

alanlw wrote:
Steve R wrote:I came across some references to Lt.Col Brocklehurst whilst transcribing the War Diary of the 14th Burma Rifles, WO 172/986.

It seems Brocklehurst and 2 SSD were in Taunggyi in April 1942 when the time came for British troops to evacuate the town, handing over responsibility to the Chinese. A Rear Party was formed under Brocklehurst, consisting of 2 SSD, 14th Burma Rifles and the Southern Shan States Battalion, Burma Frontier Force, Brocklehurst assuming command on 17th April 1942 (approximately). At 2000 hrs on 20th April, Brocklehurst ordered the evacuation of Taunggyi. This party stuck together as they withdrew until 30th April when it split into four parties, one of which was Brocklehurst with two other British officers and 20 British Other Ranks.

I can PM an extract from the diary or you will find the full transcript at my web site at www.rothwell.force9.co.uk/burmaweb. The pdf is at http://www.rothwell.force9.co.uk/burmaweb/images/13th%20Burma%20Rifles%20WO%20172%20986%20-%20transcript.pdf

Just putting the finishing touches to the transcript and it will be up 19th or 20th September 2014.

Very many thanks for that, Steve! I knew he must appear in other places. It's great to have some exact dates for the evacuation of TGI.

At the end you say "From late 1941, C.O. of 2nd Special Service Detachment." Can you tell me where you found that statement as I have seen nothing quite so exact before. I don't know yet when he arrived in Burma although I know he was there by Xmas for a bombing raid on Rangoon. From what I read somewhere I thought SSD2 was set up later as a response to the Japanese invasion, but again, no exact date was given.

If you come across anything on Brock or SSD2 else please do let me know.

Alan

Alan - I'm so sorry it seems I never received the notification of your response to this thread.

The file I intended to share is available at http://www.rothwell.force9.co.uk/burmaweb/WO_172_986.htm.

I've just found another reference to Brocklehurst and his Commando in a file containing accounts of the actions of F.F.1, Burma Frontier Force. In a narrative by Captain John Kennedy of the actions of the Mounted Infantry Column of F.F.1 he describes the time on the Thai frontier from the very end of December 41 or first days of January 42 until mid-March 42. I quote:

"M.I. & Turcol were ordered not to cross the frontier until the Commando under Colonel Brocklehurst was ready to cooperate. The Commando, for whom all our transport was taken to bring up explosives, never were ready. However a force Turcol with some M.I. eventually raided a Thai outpost of about 200 strong inflicting 30 dead including 1 officer in casualties to the enemy, & suffering 1 wounded. This raid was led by Captain Turner of Turcol."

I'm hoping you see this reply and that I have correctly set my notifcations this time.

Kind regards

Steve

The Burma Campaign - www.rothwell.force9.co.uk/burmaweb
[WWW]
alanlw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Many thanks again Steve. I did manage to find the Burma Rifle's file somewhere on-line.

Is there an exact date for the new quote? Is it another TNA document, if so could you supply the reference please?

Alan

Alan
aim icon
Steve R
Forum Member

alanlw wrote:Many thanks again Steve. I did manage to find the Burma Rifle's file somewhere on-line.

Is there an exact date for the new quote? Is it another TNA document, if so could you supply the reference please?

Alan

Alan

Sadly no date as the account was written from memory in India sometime after the withdrawal from Burma. The reference is placed sometime between January and March 1942. The TNA document is WO 203/5697

Steve

The Burma Campaign - www.rothwell.force9.co.uk/burmaweb
[WWW]
Philip Walker
Forum Member

I am researching Lt Col Henry Courtney Brocklehurst - but in his earlier service as a Captain in the RFC and RAF during WW1. If Alan or anyone else has any information about his service in the Hejaz, Arabia during the Arab Revolt, 1916-18, I would be very interested to hear. I am particularly interested to trace any descendants or family members, to ask if there are any surviving photographs, letters, memoirs, miscellaneous papers and so on from this period, no matter how insignificant they may seem. The background is that I am writing a book on forgotten and little known intelligence and other officers who played important roles in the Arab Revolt, but who have stayed in the shadows because T. E. Lawrence ("Lawrence of Arabia") took all the limelight.
alanlw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Philip Walker wrote:I am researching Lt Col Henry Courtney Brocklehurst - but in his earlier service as a Captain in the RFC and RAF during WW1. If Alan or anyone else has any information about his service in the Hejaz, Arabia during the Arab Revolt, 1916-18, I would be very interested to hear. I am particularly interested to trace any descendants or family members, to ask if there are any surviving photographs, letters, memoirs, miscellaneous papers and so on from this period, no matter how insignificant they may seem. The background is that I am writing a book on forgotten and little known intelligence and other officers who played important roles in the Arab Revolt, but who have stayed in the shadows because T. E. Lawrence ("Lawrence of Arabia") took all the limelight.

Hello Philip, I am researching Brocklehurst's whole life, also with the intention of writing a book on it eventually. I have quite a bit of info and photos of his time in the RFC but so far no suggestion of any involvement in any Arab revolt. Why don't you PM with your email address and we can then share information.

Alan

Alan
aim icon
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have included some of the detail from this message on our ROH entries for those who were Commandos, but would like to place the official source for each on our ROH for the Commandos mentioned here, ie. the original reference source (war diary, national archives, report, casualty list, etc.) Where has the information originally been sourced from re SSD2 for men such as Lockington, Ballantyne, etc.

Nick are you still in touch with Peter. Can you ask him ?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Little John
Forum Member

My father was Sergeant John Francis Friend.
My dad had a immense respect for Brocklehurst, and I am of the firm belief this was reciprocated.
That which my father endured for nine months to finally get back to Fort William, was a truly testament to the man.
As dad said, he was the only out of his group to get hit, and the only one to survive.
I am endeavoring to donate items he used on that epic trek, (as referred to in the book and helped save his life), so if anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

John

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger