commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Op. Abercrombie 18-22/4/42 No.4 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I've just unearthed this image, published in the Evening Standard on 23rd April 1942. As far as I know it's the first time it's been seen for 70 years. It shows 'B' and 'C' troops of No.4 Commando lined up on the Drop Redoubt parade ground. (The Drop Redoubt is a Napoleonic fort on the Western Heights at Dover). This would have been taken on the afternoon of the 21st April as the troops awaited the briefing by Lord Lovat prior to the Hardelot raid.

The image in the No.4 Gallery on this website of Lovat giving the briefing would have been taken very shortly after this photo and is the same group of soldiers down on the parade ground taken from the opposite angle.

I expect the soldiers in the foreground in the helmets are probably Royal Engineers, but please do shout if I'm wrong.

Full size shows an interesting collection of equipment - life preservers, rifles and half a dozen Bren guns. There are a couple more images, mostly portraits, that show some of the commandos on their return the next day. I'll try and post them over the next couple of days.

(P.S. Spot the commando picking his nose. :D)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 03/03/2012 21:01:34

[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Fantastic find again Phil - can't wait to see the other photos.

Thanks,

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Nick,

Here are the others. Again, I believe these are (mostly) unseen since they were originally published in 42. Apologies for the poor quality, but I did what I could...

1) Lord Lovat briefing the No.4 officers on the parade ground of the Drop Redoubt (see above). This image is known and has been duplicated in publications before although exactly where the briefing took place has not.

2) No.4 marching with equipment in the area of the fort. I suspect this is Military Hill. I wish I had a clearer copy of this to pin it down.

3) Returning from the raid on the morning of the 22nd April. The walkway is the now-demolished submarine jetty in Dover Eastern Docks.

4) Returning from the raid and handing in unspent ammunition (?)

5) Return from the raid image.

6) Naval ratings somewhere in Dover Eastern Docks.

7) Naval officers following the raid.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/03/2012 18:00:21

[WWW]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I hope this is of some interest, my ongoing list of who took part in the raid. I've been compiling it from several different sources but think I've now hit a brick wall...It would be good to know who the officers are in the Lovat briefing photos. Styles and Ennis are identified, but it's putting faces to names for the others is near impossible for me.

No.4 Commando (B&C Troop) - 100 men:

Capt. Style David C.W. (C Troop) (Lanc. Fus) (OIC Centre Section Beach Head)
Capt. Webb G.G.H. (B Troop) (Royal Artillery) (OIC No.4 Fighting Patrol)
Lieut. Smith, A.D.C. (Intel Corps) (Adj. to Lovat)
Lieut. Ackernley M.C.R. (Royal Corps of Signals)
Lieut. Mercer-Wilson, Peter Maziere (OIC No.3 Fighting Patrol) (KIA Normandy)
Lieut. Ennis, James Francis 'Carpet Slippers' (B Troop) (Royal Artillery) (2nd in command No.3 Fighting Patrol)
Lieut. Dawson, R.W.P. (Loyals) (OIC No.1 Group - right sector of beachhead)
Lieut. Veasey, A.F.S. 'Fairy' (Worcesters) (2nd in command No.1 Group - right sector of beachhead)
Tsm. Dunning, James (C Troop) (Royal Armoured Corps) (2nd in command Centre Section beachhead)
Tsm. Chattaway, Louis (B Troop) (Ox & Bucks) (2nd in command No.4 Fighting Patrol)
A/Rsm. Hobson (B Troop) (No.4 Fighting Patrol)
Cpl. Mann, Richard 'Dickie' (C Troop) (Royal Berks) GRAFFITI IN REDOUBT
L/Cpl. Middleton, Frank.(Royal Armoured Corps) GRAFFITI IN REDOUBT
L/Cpl. Clark, Eric 'Nobby' (Royal Ulster Rifles) GRAFFITI IN REDOUBT
L/Bdr. Maund, F 'Dusty' (C Troop) (Royal Artillery) GRAFFITI IN REDOUBT
L/Cpl. Shearing (shot in leg)
L/Cpl. Thomas
Gdsm. Powell, Joseph (C Troop) (Grenadier Guards) (Gunner in LSC, not to land)
Gdsm. Spearman, William (Grenadier Guards)
Gnr. Davies, Bernard (Royal Artillery)
Spr. Kennett, Kenneth (Royal Engineers)
Pte. Mellis, James (Lovat Scouts) (Mentioned in despatches).
Bdr. Pike, H.F. (Royal Artillery) GRAFFITI IN REDOUBT

Carleton & York (Infantry) Rgt (Canada) - 50 men:

Capt. Maclean Ian S. (M.O) - (Stayed in the Redoubt)
Lieut. Ensor Jack F (OIC of Canadian operation)
Lieut. Farthing, (Bridgehead)
Lieut. Snell, (Bridgehead)
Lieut. Smith W.Y, (No.1 patrol)
Lieut. Thorton (Beachmaster)
Lieut. Groom (in LSC, not to land)
Pte. Akerley, George Leonard, (D. Coy). GRAFFITI IN REDOUBT (KIA Sicily)
Pte. Ricker, Everett (D. Coy) GRAFFITI IN REDOUBT
Pte. Springer, W.E. (B. Coy) GRAFFITI IN REDOUBT

Royal Navy

Lieut. McKinnon (Flotilla Leader)
Lieut. Cmdr. Thomas N. Cartwright (MGB)

This message was edited 13 times. Last update was at 25/08/2012 02:18:29

[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Phil,
Fantastic!
The photos are great, but the information you've provided (Names, ranks and appointments) for the raid is just pure gold.
Great research and once again thanks very much for sharing.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks again Nick - just crossed over posts there!

Phil Eyden wrote:This is a bit of a wildcard, but were there any members of No.4 of the period with the nickname 'Dusty'? I have a piece of graffiti that looks as if it was written at the same time as those I have listed above, but sadly can't pin it to anyone.

It may be entirely unconnected and be a member of an infantry regiment from the nearby Grand Shaft Barracks, but if you don't ask...

I've just worked this one out - the graffiti scratched into the brick in the side arms store is L/Bdr 'Dusty' Maund of C Troop. This is excellent - it means we've now found the 'autographs' of five members of No.4 and three of the Canadians. It was right beneath 'Dickie' Mann's and Frank Middleton's names in the Side Arms Store.

I'd love to find a photo - can anyone help please?

According to James Dunning in 'The Fighting Fourth' he was a 'rascally character, fearless, outspoken but loyal and dependable in action. He became the batman/runner/'minder' to a young subaltern, Robert Dawson, at Weymouth, and stayed throughout the war, during which time Dawson advanced from Section Officer to Commanding Officer. Maund was one of the first in No.4 to be decorated, when he was Mentioned in Despatches for his part in the Lofoten Islands Raid.'

He is also featured on the Dieppe list.
[Thumb - Maund Dusty.jpg]
 Filename Maund Dusty.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 144 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  791 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 05/03/2012 00:34:39

[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Guy Hudson has sent in a photo from his collection which one of the images above printed in the paper. We also have 2 others that are from the IWM collection ;

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/Abercrombie/

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Oh my goodness - thank you Guy (and Pete). This is really exciting for me because this image shows the state of some of the parade ground buildings at the Drop Redoubt by WW2. Photos of the inside of the Drop Redoubt in use are like hen's teeth, this literally is only the fourth image I've seen even though the place was occupied for 150 years.

Even though we work monthly at the fort, our small gang of volunteers have next to no images of the fort in use, and precisely none of the buildings opposite the barracks. This provides our first hint of what they looked like. It seems that the 1860 Staff Sergeants quarters had a bricked up doorway and the kitchen front had been smashed through to make a storage shed.

The commando one can see hot footing it behind a wall and up a passage is heading off to use the urinals!

Really fascinating, and thank you so much.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 09/07/2012 02:20:28

[WWW]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I would very much like to find out some information on L/Cpl Frank Middleton of the Royal Armoured Corps. He's the only one of the group who left his graffiti in the fort I cannot find a photo of and have only the scantest of details. It's great to show the public photographs against the names when I am giving tours so a photograph would be wonderful.

Could anyone help please? Thank you.
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Phil,
Good to hear from you again.

No photo, I'm afraid, but I can, hopefully, add to the scant info you have on Frank Middleton.

I have L/Sgt F B Middleton, 7902963, RAC, listed in No4 Cdo.

Not a huge amount of info I know but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Regards,
Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thank you Nick,

The only other snippet I have managed to find out about him was at an auction (DNW) of medals on 08/02/10. I can't guarantee it is the same person, but chances are...

""Medals for F. Middleton, Royal Armoured Corps: 1939-45 Star; Africa Star, clasp, 8th Army; France and Germany Star; Defence and War Medals, unnamed as issued. Medals to 'Middleton' with slip and card forwarding box from the Royal Armoured Corps Record Office, to ?Mr F. Middleton, 6 Barmouth Rd., Sheffield 7.""

Phil

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 07/07/2014 22:29:20

[WWW]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

On another note, it is our Open Weekend at the Drop Redoubt this weekend. I've written a new display board on the operation and one of our members has sorted out the graphics. I hope you like it.

[Thumb - Abercrombie Board.jpg]
 Filename Abercrombie Board.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 87 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  736 time(s)

[WWW]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Just a little announcement, I have been researching Abercrombie for about four years and in December hope to have a limited edition book published describing the raid in as much detail as I have been able to and describe the traces the men left in the Drop Redoubt fort in Dover. It will have many previously unpublished photos in it, including a couple of new photos of Lovat. Some of the information has been provided by Jimmy Dunning whom I had the honour of speaking to earlier this year.

The book run will only be 1,000 copies and most of the profits will be put towards our volunteer preservation society who look after the old fort. I will be in touch when it comes out. Hopefully not long - I'm 95% there. )

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/09/2015 03:38:25

[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Great news Phil, I look forward to reading your book - please can I reserve a copy.

Thanks,

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
petermiddleton442
Forum Member

my uncle was Frank Leonard Middleton and was in 4 commando and would like to know if anybody can throw any light on him for me please

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger