commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Recommended Books?  XML
Forum Index » Commando Library
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

If you are interested in meeting genuine decorated WW2 Commando veterans one only needs this book to look them up......

Commando Gallantry Awards of WW2" - George A Brown (London Stamp Exchange - 1991).

However you wont find a mention if that man won his gallantry award with another unit.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 27/11/2007 08:56:23

Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

A"must have" book out now is" Commando To Captain Generall -The Life Of Brigadier Peter Young by Alison Michelli .The story of the commando legend who was a founding member of 3 Commando. He fought in Vaagso,Dieppe,Sicily, Italy ,Normandy and with 3 Commando Brigade in Burma. He wrote the classic book Storm From The Sea and was instrumental in forming the Sealed Knot. He had quite a life!

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Steve Hambridge
Forum Member

Just want to add two further recommended books that I consider essential reading:

Invasion by Piper Bill Millin -
avaliable from the Dawlish Museum

Striking Back: A Jewish Commando's War against the Nazis
by Peter Masters

another book that may be of interest is
Cameramen at War by Ian Grant and follows a WW2 cameraman and his time with the Commandos during Normandy etc..

Steve
Stephen Unwin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Fighting Fourth, absolutely pristine from Amazon £12, fantastic read so far

'To the skirl of pipes and in Green Beret, the men from Achnacarry led the way'
[MSN]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Scotty's book Fighting With The Commandos is in my Miltary Book club! Its got a great cover Looks fantastic

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Just got home from work and Scotty's book has arrived! Wow excellent cover.Great photos too. Glancing throught it theres plenty of Scotty's humour .You looked a bruiser as a kid Mr Chairman!

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Managed to get a copy of Castle Commando by Donald Gilchrist. from eBay Still got the dust cover . Looks a good read .Ive heard its excellent

SE Donnison
[MSN]
NO1COMMANDO
Forum Member

I also have a signed copy and there is a picture of my Grandad in there crawling with a knife!

Dan Strain
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Been reading a good book "Up Close And Personal" by David Lee ( he wrote Beachhead Assault ,about the RN Commandos) Its about close quarter fighting during WW2.Theres some good photos of the fighting knives and also Fairburn and Sykes themselves teaching unarmed combat,some ive never seen ..Of interest are photos of Canadian commandos training in unarmed combat at Ardentinney Scotland in 1944 (wheres that??)

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

I've found this book really useful and have posted extracts from it on this site quite a few times.

Title: Allied Special Forces Insignia 1939 - 1948.

Author: Peter Taylor

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ive ordered that book from Abe books., Andy.I got 3 books at xmas including Special Forces in Action by Lord Ashcroft which is really good . Guardsman & Commando by RSM Cyril FeeberyDCM which is abit medoicre after reading Scotty's book. Also got Commandos in Exile the story of 10 Commando by Nick van Der Bijl which is really well done and researched

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Picked up a second hand paperback Green Berets In Korea by Fred Hayhurst.Its about 41 Independent Commando RM. looks good .. Think they fought at the Chosin Reservoir
Also new out is Striking Back by Nial Cherry ,,the story of Airborne and Commando raids 1940-1942 Looks very impressive with photos i havent seen and is very well researched

SE Donnison
[MSN]
kewdos
Forum Member

NIC wrote:Okay guys that's a good list there thanks.
what I'll do is compile a list from your lists and post it as a Sticky so everyone can use it as a reference.
Cheers,
Nick

MAY i suggest one more..?

The Cockleshell Canoes isbn no 978184868

Its just had a review in The Croaker ie the globe and laurel.. others are about to appear in the navy news and soldier mag...

had other reviews in various local papers .. one coming in The
Independent.

is a gripping tale..97% of info never been written about, hell, its not been known of since WW2. 140+ vintage and rare pics many never published b4.

hope helps.. its 320 pages and 19.99 or less on amazon

Q
kewdos
Forum Member

kewdos wrote:
NIC wrote:Okay guys that's a good list there thanks.
what I'll do is compile a list from your lists and post it as a Sticky so everyone can use it as a reference.
Cheers,
Nick

MAY i suggest one more..?

The Cockleshell Canoes isbn no 978184868

Its just had a review in The Croaker ie the globe and laurel.. others are about to appear in the navy news and soldier mag...

had other reviews in various local papers .. one coming in The
Independent.

is a gripping tale..97% of info never been written about, hell, its not been known of since WW2. 140+ vintage and rare pics many never published b4.

hope helps.. its 320 pages and 19.99 or less on amazon

Hi Ref the book mentioned... 'The Cockleshell Canoes'

There have been numerous newspaper articles etc and even a review in The Southern Evening Echo BUT.. these are the most important reviews from Navy News, Globe and Laurel and 'The Croaker'....

This from Prof. Eric Grove - Review in Navy News May 2009.

' this volume really is one of the most original, interesting and informative to have appeared recently'

'an excellent and ground breaking work', 'described in great detail'.

From 'The Croaker' April 2009 issue by M.J.A.

'Clarity of delivery'.

'Rees writes well and his narrative flows'

'a stimulating and revealing tract'

'fascinating and detailed accounts'

Globe and Laurel - March - April 2009 issue by G.A.D

'remarkable book',
' this great and important military and maritime story - which he tells very well',
'good looking and man sized book' with 'stunning photographs'

The full blurb can be found from the articles EG Navy News on line PAGE 44 .. link http://content.yudu.com/A178mx/navynewsmay09/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http://www.navynews.co.uk/

TTTThats all floks

Q
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

In his post of 23/12/2007, Steven Hambridge refers to the book Invasion by Piper Bill Millin and that the book is avaliable from the Dawlish Museum. I have emailed the museum and they will send me an signed copy of the book!

The cost of the book is GBP 6.99, the postage and packing is GBP £3.00. Which is for sending it to The Netherlands I guess. They normally give Piper Bill GBP2.00 for signing, making a total of GBP12.00. You may of course give more, as any surplus would go to the Museum funds. I will give more so that Piper Bill can have a wee dram or two!

If you want a copy, be quick because there are only nine left for sale as at today! Mail to: [email protected] and you will get in touch with Liz of the administration!

Forum Index » Commando Library
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger