commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Rolls of Honour & They also served Rolls Progress  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello :D

I would like to offer my help as a "fan" of No 6 Commando, my late father's unit.

The author of 6 Commando website would be an excellent recruit in this exercise.

Regards,

Colin

"Excreta Tauri Astutos Frustantor"
[WWW]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Colin:

I am sure Geoff will be delighted to receive any input you could supply concerning No. 6 Commando. As Geoff noted in his post below mine in today's messages he has information on only 308 names of No. 6, but that he has not included or cross-checked those shown on the No. 6 website.

I am also a 'fan' of No. 6 Commando and I hope that one day all the members of this great fighting formation will have their names properly recorded.

Kindest regards,
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

We are very slowly adding names to our They Also Served List, now at nearly 5000 names. If anyone has lists/unit nominal rolls that they feel may be of benefit then please email/post them to the Secretary. Even if we get one name from hundreds it will be worth it.

Kind regards

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Peter Bowe
Forum Member

I would obviously be more than happy to assist in whatever way to the generation of a list of "once served" men from No.6 Commando.

The web site evolved during my research into No.6 Commando as the basis of a book, as I realised that no single record of serving men existed for a number of reasons. The web site list (for those that have viewed it) has been contributed to by many veterans, relatives and friends and I am indebted to them for their support and assistance.

Currently the site has listed: 158 Officers and 1,045 men ( totalling 1,203) so far but there are many, many more to record especially from the unit's North African exploits.

Regards

Peter Bowe

www.6commando.com
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Welcome Peter :D

Your input of info will be much appreciated as the content of your website contains the most names of 6 Commando available on the web.

Regards,

Colin

"Excreta Tauri Astutos Frustantor"
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Peter,
Welcome to the CVA forum. I'm sure that everyone involved will appreciate your offer of help.
I just wish there were other websites like yours with information about all the other commando units.
The other benefit of you 'joining our ranks' is that I will no longer have to recommend your site to newcomers - you can now do that yourself )
Right get those sleeves rolled up - you've got work to do :D

Regards,

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/04/2008 16:48:54

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Harry Jackson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Geoff,

I have made a list of No 3 Commando Fallen. This is based on the CWGC records. I will forward these to you but am aware that you may already have this information. If you think that these records are of use, then I do not mind adding to them from any source available.

Yours

Harry

Commandos never die, they go elsewhere and 're-group'!
Peter Bowe
Forum Member

UPDATE No.6 Commando (www.6commando.com)

The site now has listed:

Commanding Officers: 5 men
Officers: 153 men
Other Ranks: 1,082 men

TOTAL: 1,240 men
Peter Bowe
Forum Member

UPDATE No.6 Commando (www.6commando.com)

The site now has listed:

Commanding Officers: 5 men
Officers: 154 men
Other Ranks: 1,114 men

TOTAL: 1,273 men
robert verdun maughan
Forum Member

[i]Hello to Bob and Janet !!i dont know if this is of any use to you but i may be able to give you some very early details for No 9 commando. My late father (Robert McPherson Maughan) served with No 9 but please bear with me as he passed away on the 10th feb 1967. The details that i have on him and officers of No 9 have been told to me by my mother as at the time of his passing i was only 5 years of age. My mother also had a rather colourful time with No 9 as i will explain in a while.
From what i have been told my father was in a rifle regiment when war first broke out and then voluntered for the commandos going into no 9. (forgive me but dates and times for nearly everything i just dont know) after completing basic training at some time No 9 were sent to the Isle of Arran in Scotland and from what i can gather he must have been an officers batman or something. He convinced my mother to go with him to Arran and become the cook for all the officers, all staying under the roof of a very large house/hotel called St Quiverks. My mother informs me that each week my father would collect all the officers ration books and give them to my mother to get the rations from the local store, cooking for i believe around half a dozen or so captains (possibly more)plus others in the house. Some names for the captains are as follows..Capt Greenshields,Capt Cochran,Capt Spittle and it was possibly a Capt Sproat or possibly Sprat. The lady who owned either St Quiverks or the local store i seem to remember from what my mother told me was a Mrs McReedy(not sure about spelling), the house was oppersite what was known as the measured mile for the warships and the commandos would go out training everyday along the beech and cliffs even in two feet of snow.I can tell you that my father (Bob) was the unarmed combat instructor(in Ju Jitsu),the pub bouncer for when someone had had one to many (as he was tea total) and also a sking instuctor but unfortunately i dont know what rank he was as my mother cannot remember. From her tales it seems as though this was a very enjoyable time of her life (if such a thing is possible during a war) as it seems to be one of her fondest memories. My mother is now 90 years of age with a memory that is unfortunatly fading fast but is also the mother to four sons,Melvyn,Colin,Russell and myself Robert (i am the baby of the family at 47)She also has many grand children (one grandson is 23 and serving with 42 RM Commando and due to go on his second tour to Afganistan any time now, so you can imagine how proud the whole family are of him)and even a couple of great grand children and has resently been contacted by the commandos benevolent fund (to which she has replied) she is proud to have done her part and also served No 9 Commando in her own small way........i dont know if i've bored you but hopefully i've helped you in some small way also........yours Bob Maughan

Please could anybody with any knowledge of the above contact me
[WWW] [MSN]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Please can the undermentioned be added to the No5 RoH.

All are listed on the Westminster Abbey RoH and listed in The Third Jungle Book, issue no9 (March '46), as having been in No5 Cdo.

4537642 Sgt Haldane F H M 15/03/44
3525354 Pte Bishop J 15/03/44
5190088 Pte Hodges J R 23/03/44

Thanks in anticipation,

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

I have read through the Troop notes chapter for No.1 Commando from "The Third Jungle Book" issue No.8 Sep 1945 and recorded all of the names that were stated with their corresponding Troop No. I will do the same for No.5 and 42 & 44 RM Commando in due course, I will also examine the other "Third Jungle Book" issue that I have a copy of and carry out the same exercise.

Cheers Andy
[Thumb - T1B.jpg]
 Filename T1B.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 121 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  722 time(s)

[Thumb - T1A.jpg]
 Filename T1A.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 211 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  729 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 01/01/2010 03:52:14

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Good work Andy.
To save you a job I've already sifted through all the issues of The Third Jungle Book that I have for the names of No5 Commando.
please see link below:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/762.page

I don't think you'll find any that I've missed in The Third Jungle Books, but I'd welcome any names you happen across from any other sources.

Regards,
nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nic

Thanks for that, I had already gone through a rough copy of this issue with high lighter pen, but won't bother typing these out now. However I will complete this task for the RM units, unless you are aware of whether this has already been done by somebody else?

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Thankyou Pete for adding the Special Service Brigade & Signal troop Roll of Honour.

Another name for consideration:

2574102 Sig.Francis LEWIS. Royal Signals,his unit was HQ SS BDE, buried at Cassino Memorial, died 30-12-1943,this information from the CWGC. The Alrewas Memorial panel also has his details,but shows his unit as HQ 2 SS BDE.

Regards

Graham

**** Thanks Graham. Francis Lewis now added ...PR***

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/05/2015 22:01:40

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger