commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Names of the 3 Commandos on Spean Bridge memorial  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

This cutting describes how the three commandos were chosen to be models for the Spean Bridge Commando memorial.
[Thumb - scan045.jpg]
 Filename scan045.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description The 3 Commandos on the Spean Bridge memorial
 Filesize 945 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  898 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/12/2010 19:36:52

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
sandra
Forum Member

Dear Peter
Thank you very much for this information, I will contact you if I find out anything.
best wishes
Sandra
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello

Jack LEWINGTON was in 4 Cdo A Troop.
You can see him, on this photo troop in the gallery.

sincerely

stéphane
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

He was my dad's corporal when No. 4 were in Holland. He remembers him well. A troop later became 1 troop.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The photo Stephane was referring to is to be found here :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/troop+photos/4_cdo_A_TROOP.JPG.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

I've put his photo from that troop photo and a photo of the memorial together and the likeness created by the sculptor is remarkable.
[Thumb - Jack Lewington.JPG]
 Filename Jack Lewington.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 107 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  722 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/02/2010 19:25:28

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Geoffd
Forum Member

My Father George Dowse ( No 11 Commando ) was in the Scottish daily express a few years ago as the 3rd man.
I will try and dig out the original article
Cheers
Geoff

Regards
Geoffrey
Trevorm
Forum Member

Hi,

I've just joined the forum, so hello all.

My Father was William Moore and always maintained that he was one of the the three Commandos on the Spean Bridge Memorial. He passed away in 1989 and a couple of years later my Mother made a trip there to remember him. I had the privilege of attending the festival of Remembrance this year at Spean Bridge and it was a beautiful day for a well attended and moving service.

My dad said he was the Commando on the left of the three, I'll organise a photo so you can see for yourself.
D.W.Muirhead
Forum Member

Hi all, I have just recently joined the CVA pages. My grandfather was Jimmy 'Jock' Muirhead who was in No 4 Commando. There was an article in the Daily Mail in the mid 1990's about the possibility of my grandfather being the Commando on the right of the memorial (as you look at it face on). The likeness certainly is quite striking and my grandfather did remember posing on tables after the end of the war. Regardless of who the memorial was based on, it is a wondeful tribute to all Commandos.

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger