commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Nominal Roll List 5 Troop No 1 Commando 44/45 Names  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Everyone
Below is the only Nominal Roll list I have ever come across in all my research. It is for for 5 Troop No 1 Commando 1944/5 C.
This was supplied to me by the late Henry Brown OBE.
I hope it will help someone find there relatives name on a genuine
piece of history.

The names highlighted in pink were formerly of No 12 Commando my fathers previous unit to No 1.

Please download as it is much clearer then.

Regards
John M
[Thumb - IMG_4859.JPG]
 Filename IMG_4859.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 3009 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  413 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 14/09/2009 21:31:00

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

John very kindly emailed me this document at the weekend, the title of the email was "lucky find for you" and indeed it was, because as John pointed out the ninth name down on the left colum is that of my father Hugh Maines. However as is usual with my surname it has been mispelt i.e no "e" before the "s", the numbers at the end of each name ties in with something that Idris Jones told me during our recent meeting (Idris is a former member of No1) that every Commando was generally known by their surname followed by the last two digits of their Army number.
For example Idris was Jones37, my father's number was 4197433 which correlates perfectly with the above nominal roll list i.e "H Mains33".
Many thanks again to John for providing me with this very significant bit of info, much appreciated, and a big thank you for sending me the disc containing the high resolution copy of the No1 panorama group photo that he recently made available to the Gallery. I will now be able to have my own high quality copy produced which I will have framed and mounted.

Cheers Andy

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 14/09/2009 20:41:21

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Andy

You are very welcome............only to pleased to be of help.

Good luck in your continuing research.

Best regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi John

I am a bit embarassed to admit this but I never spotted Idris Jones's name on the original email that you sent me on Sunday and I did look for it!. However on this much higher resolution copy, his name stands out very clearly, in exactly the format he described "Jones 37". I will of course make an enlarged copy of this document and send it on to Idris so that he can have a look at it, seeing the names might help to jog his memory. I know it would in my case, I am absolutely hopeless at remebering names even from a few months ago let alone 70 years!

Cheers Andy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/09/2009 23:44:13

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi John

I have just had a go at enlarging and enhancing the nominal 5 Troop Roll that you have just uploaded, to be honest I initially did this for the benifit of Idris Jones, so that it would be easier for him to see the names. However thought I might as well upload it on to the forum, for any one else who may have failing eyesight i.e like myself!

Cheers Andy
[Thumb - 11B-Nominal Roll for 5 Troop No1 Commando.jpg]
 Filename 11B-Nominal Roll for 5 Troop No1 Commando.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1457 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  407 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 20/03/2010 15:40:28

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Philip Bacon
Forum Member

At least I can eliminate my dad and Uncle mfrom No 5 Troop, which is the one I thought they were with. I do see that Ron Barringer is named there, he was my Dads best man at his wedding!
Regards
Philip

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger