commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Lionel Harold UNDERWOOD, No3 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
sue
Forum Member

My uncle was killed 6 June 1944. He was in the 3 Commandos, and previous to that the 7th and 70th Batallions of the Beds and Herts Regiments.

My dad was told that LIonel was killed when his tank was blown up and he was id'd by his dog tags.

Does anyone know anything about my uncle, or hopefully, have a photo of him in one of their group photos.

Thankyou.

Sue Given
Australia

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/04/2013 18:14:45

steevo29
Forum Member

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2324027
sue
Forum Member

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, I will have a look.

Sue
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Sue...in addition to my pm to you encouraging you to contact stephane by pm, I have found this entry regarding Lionel. The details must have come from his service record I believe, so you may well be aware of it already:

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Bedfordshire/WilsteadRollofHonour.html

Regards

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 19/02/2012 19:27:52

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
sue
Forum Member

Hi Pete, thanks, will have a look, I think I have seen it before, but I will check.

Have a good day.

Sue
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello SUE

I sent to you a private e-mail.
sincerely

stéphane
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Sue

I see from this message and others that you were looking for pictures of Lionel Harold Underwood. In Sepember of last year I updated a troop photo of No.3 Commando with all the names that were in a newspaper cutting provided to me that had the identical photo . I realise you were aware of this picture but at that time there were no names. There is now an Underwood shown in that picture. I am not sure if you have already seen this update as it was after your message, and cannot tell if Stephane was able to help you, but if not here is the link to that picture and details:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/No_3+Regimental+-+photo+owner+Steve+Lewis.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

The newspaper shows him on the 8th row which consists of 3 men at the very back. He is the one on the left as you view the photo. The man in the middle L. Page and on the right being Fred Walker

Stephane has just posted a photo of the headstone at his grave which is in the War Graves album. I have updated that with the CWGC details and this can be seen here:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/main.php?g2_view=dynamicalbum.UpdatesAlbum&g2_itemId=8683&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Regards

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 16/01/2010 11:47:08

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
sue
Forum Member

Thankyou very much for the update. I appreciate it. I have a copy of the photo and now a copy of my uncles' Headstone. All the help has been fantastic. I have heard from Jim Clinton and Herbert Beddows as well with some reunion photos and Jim sent me a Commando Dagger pin.
Without the help from this site, I would be no further along than I was before in search of information on my Uncle. So once again, thankyou to one and all.

Hope everyone has a great 2010.

Sue Given

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger