commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
RN Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
Ross Ba
Forum Member

Ok I am maybe barking up the wrong tree and being a bit vague to boot but I?m looking to see if anyone can help. My grand father served in the commandos during WW2 he is still with us but unfortunately doesn?t talk about it the family are really proud and want to know more about his service time so it can be passed on. Unfortunately don?t know which unit he was with fairly sure it was a RM commando but don?t know which. When asked he replies we didn?t bother about that junk (useful I know but he has normally had a few drams before you can put a question to him). Well anyway I know he was at Anzio, Nijmegen and somewhere called Goose but apart from that not much info. He also said when they volunteered it was put to them as ?Who would like to start a new training course in Scotland? (Achnacary) He only said yes as it wasn't far from home )

If anyone could shed some light on how to go about this research stuff that would be great I am also in the process of trying to get my hands on his photos to get some scans which could be interesting for others on here.

Regards Ross

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 31/10/2010 01:08:22

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Ross

If you go to the forum you will see at the very top, there is a section called "Tips on Research", within this section you will find a subsection that is devoted to contact address for the RM Commandos. I have also included some pages from a book called "Commandos & Rangers of WWII" by James Ladd that provide a brief discription of each RM Commando. You could also check out the Combined Operations Memorial website to see what info they have concerning the RM Commandos. Look forward to seeing the photos that you mentioned, have you had a look at the photo Gallery, I recently uploaded a photo of a member of 45 RM Com, that I scanned from a different book, and another visitor to this site has identified it as his father, so you never know. Your Grandfather can also apply for a copy of his srevice records, it is very easy to do, I applied for my father's last year and recieved some very useful and informative documents. Of course this is dependant on yout GF agreeing to complete the application! I have kept a copy of the two forms that you would have to fill in as part of this application process, so if you would like to see what is involved, send me your email address via a pm and I will send them to you.

Good luck
Andy
[Thumb - Z890.jpg]
 Filename Z890.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 378 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  491 time(s)

[Thumb - Z891.jpg]
 Filename Z891.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 387 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  502 time(s)

[Thumb - Z400.jpg]
 Filename Z400.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description This is a portion of one of the documents that I recieved - Army Form B200b.
 Filesize 252 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  507 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 01/05/2009 01:33:51

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Ross and welcome to the CVA. You have the same dilema that most Commando relatives have, ie. a relative, in this case your Grandfather, not wishing to talk about his part in the war. It's a difficult one to advise on, as just as much as one has to respect the desire for relatives wanting to know, you also have to respect the wishes of your Grandfather not to say. It sounds to me as if you are already going about things the right way, eg. searching the internet for information (well you found this site and that's a good start), searching family photographs from that era for photos of your grandfather in uniform, also for documents that many kept relating to their service. Maybe even bits and pieces of uniform, beret, cap badge, campaign medals. He'll have them somewhere! Posting photos on this forum of what you find will hopefully get some response. Anzio was No.9 and 43RM Commando, part of the 2nd Special Service Brigade, by the way. I see you live in Dingwall so he was right that Achnacarry where they trained was not a million miles away. A few questions about the training aspect might get a response rather than the actions. I know my father opened up little by little and I found it best to try and catch him on his own when I asked questions rather than others being around. I haven't a clue about Goose that you mention. Perhaps thats a starting question mixed with some humour over the name. I wish you luck but don't swamp him with questions and if you can make some notes of any responses. Sometimes the smallest pieces of information can be of great help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/05/2009 08:55:36

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Welcome Ross ,,your gonna love it in the CVA Weve all become good friends because of our link with the Green Beret. My dad's life was cut short by an accident at work but he was proud of his war service and would open up about his time in the War ( altho not to my mother ,who didnt want to know about who he killed etc and was annoyed with him for joining such a dangerous outfit when he had family)) i just wish he was still here i need to know so much . Get yr grandfather to Fort William in November with photos etc
cheers

SE Donnison
[MSN]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello and welcome

The last entry seems to me to be posted to No 1 Commando 1941.

So there is a good starting point.

Regards
JohnM

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/05/2009 20:52:36

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ross,
Good luck with the photos - they may give us a few clues which may help us start you off.
As has been said before, very few of us started with much info but through research and gleaning info from others it is possible to build up a better picture.

I've certainly found it intriguing and very rewarding to find out a little more about my dad and other Commandos.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Ross Ba
Forum Member

Thanks every one some usefull stuff will keep you posted I am going to go visit and try get him to go through his old photos with me to try get names and places to go with them. Also see if he'll lend them to me for scanning. I know he has some service medals so will need to look at those and have the dog tags to. As for badges and things the only bit of kit he has is his FS fighting knife which is green unlike most of the others I have seen although I have only seen it once and briefly as my gran showed me he doesn't like it much.

Also after a conversation with my father today there is a possibility he was a Royal Navy Commando and not a marine need to look into this didn't even know the existed untill my dad said something about it never read anything about them. Looking through the history on here it all sounds about right will have to do some name dropping as always remember him saying the sat in a dam in hollond on VE day as the knew they were going to Japan so didn't feel like a party.

Never thought this would be so confusing. :?:

Will keep you all posted its his birthday in May which has sparked the interest we just got the vetrans badge thing for him. Was also talking to a mate who is in 45 and returned from Afgan and he was asking me about it.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 02/05/2009 00:35:49

Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger