commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Looking for information on Sydney Colley (also Sidney), 4 and 6 Commando World War 2. Thank you.  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Martin Chambers
Forum Member

Hello I?m new to this site and I am trying to find information about my Grandad?s cousin who was called Sydney Colley but also called himself Sidney. I understand he served in both 4 and 6 Commando during World War 2 but after the war he broke off contact with his family in Hull. My Dad traced him to London just recently where he died in 2005. If anyone has any information, photos etc that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time, Martin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/11/2020 10:59:49

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Martin,

Did your Grandad's cousin [I think that makes him your First Cousin Once Removed] have a middle name?

I have a record of someone with the surname 'Colley' serving in No.6 Cdo & No.12 Cdo...

Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 23/11/2020 15:52:55

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Martin Chambers
Forum Member

Hi Nick I?m afraid he didn?t but his Dad was Arthur Colley who served in WW1 as a tank driver. Sydney came from Hull if that helps?
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Martin,

The Colley I have a record of was Pte S. A Colley so it's possible this is Sydney/Sidney - if he was named after his father...

I don't suppose you know his peace time occupation or his parent regiment (all commandos were on loan from their parent regiment whilst they were in The Commandos).

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

HI Nick & Martin,
Could this be Sydney?

Sydney A. COLLEY born 11th November 1919, he is an accounts department clerk residing at 36 Mayfield Street, Hull in the 1939 Register.

Sidney COLLEY 11th November 1919 - 3Q 2005 Camden, London

His father:

James Arthur COLLEY 31st May 1891 - 3Q 1979 Hull

There is an entry for him on the No.6 Commando site, stating that he was Army Dental Corps and served with 6 Troop, 6 Commando.

Guy

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 24/11/2020 07:33:05

Martin Chambers
Forum Member

Hi Guy - thank you very much. Sydney was an accounts clerk at the Co-Op in Hull so I think he is the same person and I think his mother?s maiden name was Pederson. If you have any info I?d appreciate it. Many thanks!
Martin Chambers
Forum Member

Hi Nick thanks very much. I recall some mention of him being in the dental corps originally so I think we have the right Sydney. If you have any information that would be great!
GUY
Forum Member

Hi Martin,

Sydney A COLLEY born in 1919, his mother's maiden name was Pedersen

James A COLLEY married Florence M PEDERSEN 3Q 1917 Sculcoates, Yorkshire

Florence M COLLEY born 1896, died in Hull in 1931 aged 35.

Guy
Martin Chambers
Forum Member

Thanks very much, Guy this is the same Syd. His Mum died of TB. If anyone has any knowledge of what he did, photos or what happened to him between demob and his death in London it would be great! It?s a sad family mystery unfortunately and we never knew what happened to him - he broke off all contact including his Dad (my Great Uncle Arthur Colley) who was devastated at his disappearance- we never knew what we did wrong to him.
Martin Chambers
Forum Member

Sorry if I sound stupid, Guy, but how do I access the records for 6Troop, please? Many thanks, Martin
GUY
Forum Member

Martin,
Nick found a reference to S.A.COLLEY serving with both 12 & 6 Commando.
12 Commando were disbanded and the men were cross posted to other Army Commando units in August 1943.
6 Commando returned from North Africa and were billeted in Hove, Sussex prior to D-Day.

Do you have a photograph of Sidney that you could cross reference with Troop photographs in the gallery?

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/12/

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/6/6+Cdo+panorama+copy+copy.jpg.html

The war diaries for 6 Commando in Normandy are available to view on this website:

https://www.pegasusarchive.org/normandy/frames.htm

Guy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/11/2020 15:31:31

Martin Chambers
Forum Member

Hi Guy and Nick thanks very much for coming back to me.

I?m afraid we don?t have any photos, sadly. Once the war finished he disappeared and didn?t even say anything further to his Dad, Arthur. A huge mystery and a hole in the family, sadly.

Cheers 👍
Martin Chambers
Forum Member

Hi Nick and Guy I?ve had a look at the photos and what I?ll do is to contact the Clan Cameron Museum who own the large photo as this would be my best shot.

Thank you for your help and if anything comes to mind please let me know.

Cheers 👍👍
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Martin,

I see you have viewed the photos, but did you realise that you can see an enlargement of the panorama of the group photo?
Once you have opened the link t6o the photo, CLICK on the photo again to see a much enlarged photo - then scroll left to right etc...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Martin Chambers
Forum Member

Thanks, Nick - I?ll let my Dad have a look to see if he can recognise Syd once this virus has passed.

I?ve also tried to email Mr. Muir at the Clan Cameron Museum to see if he has any names but the email didn?t work. I?ll have to try another method to contact him.

It may be of interest; Syd?s Dad, my Great Uncle Arthur, was a tank driver in WW1. The experience broke him, however, and he could never work inside a building again. He died in the late ?70?s.

Cheers 👍

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger